1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The final days of McDonald's?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by da man, Oct 16, 2015.

1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

McDonald's experience can be awful, but never great. Chick-fil-a experience can be great, but it's never been awful for me.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The on-campus CFA location at my university sucks. The food is as usual, which is fine, but they absolutely cannot keep up with demand during peak times. Further, they have all these little policies -- one packet of sauce per sandwich, for example -- that totally screw up service. Drives someone in my line of work crazy.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Do you know if it's run by CFA, or if it's run by the campus food service operator -- like Sodexo or Aramark -- under license?

Sometimes that can make a big difference.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Aramark ... Very different from your run-of-the-mill CFA franchisee, I know.

5. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

The worst part of McDonald's during the last 20 years is the moronic ad campaign that follows each menu change. There's no need to portray every change as the solution to fast-food dining. Just promote the product without all the bluster and let the customers handle the rest.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If I wake up at 4 p.m. and have a hankering for breakfast, I sure as hell ain't going to McDonald's.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Waffle House? Egg Platter?

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Every now and then, I just have to have a Big Mac. Or an Egg-a-Muffin, as we called them in college when we might have been buzzed. I think it was part of a George Carlin routine.

Anyhoo, those moments come rarely for me these days. McDonald's are all over map, regardless of where I've lived. Some are clean and efficient and the food tastes fine, others are nasty, slow and the food sucks. I've never been in a Chick-fil-A that wasn't clean, efficient and consistent in quality. That's a tasty sandwich.

I've also never felt like I was in the land of whatever it was 93Devil called them when I'm in a Chick-fil-A. Not sure where that comes from - also not sure why I haven't been to the new one in NYC yet.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Waffle House is a tasty upgrade from McDonald's any time of day, I think.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

McDonalds runs its drive-thru much faster than CFA. McDonalds has very sweet and tasty sweet tea for just 1 dollar back in Texas that I was somewhat addicted to. On days when I would fight the urge, I'd pat myself on the back for having 'won the calorie battle' but that was not often. The stuff in the morning such as sausage biscuit with cheese or breakfast burritos are very inexpensive and tasty to me. Invariably, though, I'd find myself on a commode within 30 minutes of having eaten them. Morning french vanilla iced coffee at McDonalds was something I loved, too, but if it was not mixed right it was horrid (must be on the blond side if it's done right) and you can tell right away when it's mixed incorrectly. Having moved to Europe, I sort of miss the sweet tea but I've lost about 8 pounds that I trace directly to not using the drive-thru several times a week back home. NOTE: They do have McDonalds here but I have been maybe twice in 6 months. They don't serve the main thing I liked - the sweet tea. ALSO: places like Waffle House are indeed better-produced but it takes longer to sit down and you pay more when you add the tip.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A McDonald's drive-thru usually goes faster than CFA, but how much of that is just sheer volume? Chick-Fil-As here have to use traffic cops during lunch rush to keep the drive-thru organized. At off-peak times, I've never experienced any significant delay.

12. I'll go McD's for lunch occasionally. I get the grilled chicken wraps. That's it. No fries. No soda.
    The chicken chili wrap is very good.

Draft saved Draft deleted