1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Night is (still) dark and full of terrors — running House of the Dragon thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Aug 19, 2022.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Roughly what I expected, considering we’re going to jump forward in time in a few episodes. And it looked like the the first episode did for childbirth what Game of Thrones did for weddings.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Agree re the good start. Lots of potential plot lines from here.

Graham McTavish was born to wear plate armor on that set.

Mngwa likes this.
  3. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

The US is incapable of electing a women president in the 21th century and the government controls all pregnancies in the United States. I see nothing unusual with medieval Britain being portrayed as misogynistic.

heyabbott and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Obviously the same feel as Game of Thrones. I don’t get too deep in the weeds as I’ve never read the books. I just try to keep the characters and families straight.

Super violent, but I think those upset by it either didn’t see GoT or forgot.

I’m ready to watch this once a week.

2muchcoffeeman and Mngwa like this.
  5. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Maybe the world and time has changed my social media feeds too much, but I’ve have seen almost zero chatter about this show. This is relatively true of most pop culture on my feeds. The Top Gun was probably the last movie that bubbled up on my personal radar.

6. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

It had a huge audience, though. I've had some friends talk about it on FB. Positive comments. I'm not sure how much entertainment stuff moves the needle anymore, though.

7. cyclingwriter2

That’s what I’m getting at. I’m not sure if it’s just myself and my crowd of friends have moved on, or something else. I like to think I have a health mix of friends, but I doubt there is a really anyone under age 30 in my circles.

Now excuse, there are some unruly looking children walking dangerously close to my lawn that need to be yelled at.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It occurred to me that the writers and maybe even GRRM put in that bit about Aegon the Conqueror’s dream of a winter that ends mankind specifically to cover for why Targaryens marry Targaryens.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Tonight was quality. The king continues to be weak and make questionable decisions which of course opens the door to betrayal. The Princess is strong and more people should listen to her. We have more foundation being laid for the eventual epic battle. And just enough WTF with the Velaryon girl to remind you this is GoT.

Mngwa and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Do we have to have young girls grow up so fast? Other than that it’s a compelling fun start to series.

11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I wonder if the dragon that’s off on his own (Vhgar maybe the names were unclear) that the little girl mentioned laid the eggs that eventually get found and brought to Dany

12. cyclingwriter2

Theme song back for episode 2. They must have had some phone calls.

Draft saved Draft deleted