1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Night is (still) dark and full of terrors — running House of the Dragon thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Aug 19, 2022.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Why do Viserys, Rhaenyra, Alicent, the kids, all get older but Daemon stays the same? Yeah, he's my favorite character now, the eyes, the brooding, the economy of words. But damn, we need something other than pondering, dense dialogue. I'm enjoying the machinations but the storytelling is so linear.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

“He can keep his tongue.”

3. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

An absolute classic GOT/HOTD episode, IMO.

4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

So digging a little more into this. ...

I've ready ASOIAF several times, and as I remember the text, there was always hints that:

1. Rhaegar Targaryen had somehow learned of the importance of the "Prince Who Was Promised" prophecy.
    2. He came to believe he and Lyanna were the lynchpin in that prophecy's fulfillment.

... so I think all this prophecy stuff is straight from Martin's intentions (the dagger with the inscription? Maybe less so ... else man: That dagger had quite a historical role to play).

I wonder if Martin also intended for this prophecy to play such an important part in what is about to happen with HOTD. It would make sense; "The Dangers of Prophecy" is a pretty consistent theme in the ASOIAF books.

I've enjoyed HOTD, but man: This week's episode really took it to a next level.

Maybe coulda done without the literally keeping of the tongue, but what a great episode.

Key and Spartan Squad like this.
  5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I think its more the danger of everyone having the same name than it is the danger of prophecy, Alicent mistaking Aegon the conqueror for her Aegon the weenie

I do find it curious that it never seems to occur to Viserys that “ice” could refer to Winterfell/the wall/the North. I guess the Starks aren’t that relevent in this time period but its a little crazy it takes until Rheagar to put that together

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Great episode. The “he can keep his tongue” line was outstanding.

The king is dead. All hell figures to break loose in the finale. (And man the king held on. You could see through half his decayed head). Felt bad when he dragged himself to the throne the one last time. That thing can’t be comfortable for a man near death.

The whole dinner scene was excellent.

A line stolen from Twitter also applies to me:

“You can’t spoil ‘House of the Dragon’ for me because I don’t know anyone’s name.”

JimmyHoward33 and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  7. outofplace

That's one problem I'm having, especially with all of the children. I can't keep any of their names straight.

My lousy memory isn't the only reason for that. This entire season has been rushed. They have really overdone it with the time jumps. They just don't give us time to get to know these characters. Take both of Daemon's wives. I thought they were both really interesting, yet we barely get any time with them.

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Its going around Matt Smith improvised putting the crown back on Viserys’ head. Between that and the tongue line what a scene for Deamon. He’s the best part of the show by far

9. outofplace

Agreed. I also liked the subtle way he backed Aemond down. A confrontation has to be coming there, but I imagine Aemond will look for more of an advantage when he finally takes on his uncle.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

something something God's Eye something Dark Sister something something

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Y U NO DRACARYS THEIR ASSES?!?!?!

JimmyHoward33 and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Kinslaying is considered one of the worst things to do in Westeros…now it happens all of the time with little comeuppance…but one has to think Rhaena still believes in the rules… she has every reason to torch them and probably knows it will save a lot of lives…but her sense of honor trumps it.

Spartan Squad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted