1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NYT and The Athletic

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jun 17, 2022.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

What makes you think that?

Webster likes this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Good dude. I’m glad he got 21 years out of the business and got out before they decided he made too much money and executed him.

Alma, SixToe and dixiehack like this.
  4. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I believe they cut all of their team-specific pods and allowed their writers to start them elsewhere with no restrictions.

5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Because they know that shit is expensive. David O'Brien Tweeted this week that the Braves pod he started w/ex-P Eric O'Flaherty has gone belly-up unless they can find a sponsor.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Because The Athletic didn't make money on its own and the boutique NYT governors are baffled about why so many beat writers are employed and wanting to do what beat writers want to do, which is cover their team rigorously.

That's oversimplifying it, of course. I just don't see the fit being quite right.

Liut likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

There comes a point for a lot of the really good ones. Their skillset is valued outside the industry and the BS is high in the industry. Especially in college sports, where there's some new ass to kiss every week in NIL, program admin, the recruiting department, some parent, etc. Pro markets can seem stable by comparison.

Liut and tapintoamerica like this.
  8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If you’re going to have to deal with agents, let it involve players on multi-year contracts.

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Canceled my subscription to The Athletic. In the past when I did this, they came back with a discounted offer to remain. Not this time. At this point, not worth the $71 or whatever it is, especially with their lack of local baseball coverage (at least for the team I care about).

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Interesting. Just last week I renewed for a year for $9.99.

11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

As always, just wait for Thanksgiving when they offer the $1/month deal. Or maybe they won't this time! You can never underestimate the arrogance and poor business sense of the NY Times.

matt_garth likes this.
  12. motorsportwriter

motorsportwriter New Member

If you look hard enough, you can still get The Athletic for $1 per month. I just got an email touting that the other day. I was one of the original subscribers who paid something like $90 (or whatever the amount was), and cancelled when it was time to renew. They sent me several different pitches, and while I was tempted, I let the subscription stay lapsed. Honestly, I don't feel like I've missed much, but it's hard to turn down a $1 per month offer LOL.

Draft saved Draft deleted