1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NYT and The Athletic

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jun 17, 2022.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Happy for Dana (whom I've never met), but I thought she was the best college basketball writer in the country and I'll miss reading her excellent work. She's on the short list -- for me the list is probably just Dana and Sally Jenkins -- for best sports writer in the country.

SixToe and Alma like this.
  2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Nobody said the people "running" journalism are intelligent.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Good luck to everyone.. I don't know anything about the San Francisco Standard? Does it appear to turn a profit? Is it a startup?

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Good looking site. Variety of stories and topics, eye-appealing. The "about us" section says it's "financed by venture capitalist and philanthropist Michael Moritz."

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Doesn't appear to have ads or a subscription service, so it's angel-funded or a standard non profit of mini angel fundings. Or it's under some giant media umbrella the way Grantland was.

7. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

My renewal comes up in a month. Mistakenly, I've let the $72 renewal run for the last two years. Just for fun, I tried to see what kind of offer I get if I try to cancel. $24. Haven't taken it yet, but probably will.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm on the $1/month plan. Just renewed yesterday. Don't remember how I got it or when it runs out. But need to find out before it jumps up.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

The NYT website no longer allows free access to two or three The Athletic stories.

Draft saved Draft deleted