1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 13) — Winter World Cup Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Aug 5, 2022.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

But you’re complaining that CONCACAF is taking precious spots from these poor UEFA teams. Your poor UEFA team couldn’t beat North Macedonia. But sure. Let’s deny more Latin American clubs for Europe because getting the most in still isn’t enough. And it wasn’t like Italy was the last European team out.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

How is that my poor team? When did I say that was my team?
    But keep putting words in my mouth
    I said that UEFA is far better than Concacaf.

3. cjericho

Concacaf is not just Latin America.
    we are denying Bahamas also, guess they should get in

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

But so are their opposition.

5. cjericho

so in sports when it's lower-working class vs the middle to upper class, the lower-working always wins?

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Generally, yes

7. Spartan Squad

Teams like Netherlands (who made it) or Italy (who couldn’t beat North Macedonia) are being denied for Haiti or Panama (they’re not).

And of the teams you mention, only one would have likely qualified under the expanded format. Ukraine and North Macedonia being the others based on advancing to the second round semis.

Italy missed because it couldn’t win its group and lost to a team that likely would have fared as well as Costa Rica.

CONCACAF is getting net two extra teams in the next go (three for hosting plus at least three more up from four). UEFA is getting three extra teams. But somehow it’s CONCACAF that is denying Faroe Islands a chance. Except every confederation is expanding. Your poor Europe isn’t getting denied anything. And I say your poor Europe because you’re hand wringing over not getting the two spots allocated to CONCACAF when UEFA is getting three.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. cjericho

Yes. Your poor Concacaf has never had a team reach the semifinals and only the quarterfinals on a few occasions.
    The best teams throughout the history of the WC have been from South America and Europe.

9. Spartan Squad

So let’s make the World Cup only from Europe and South America and be done with it. This whole Africa, Asia and North America side show is getting quite dull.

10. cjericho

No. Concacaf can get 4. They can get more when they show they are better.

11. Spartan Squad

You’re a tool

12. cjericho

Hurts so much coming from you

Draft saved Draft deleted