1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 14) — Sing Your Anthem Loudly Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Aug 11, 2023.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Managed to stumble into the most important week of the season for my beloved Hornets. Haven’t won at home in the Championship in four months. Beating Swansea is a must. I think Val gets the sack if Watford lose tonight. Enjoying a cold pint at the Red Lion. Trying to bring some positive vibes.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Snow soccer last week for the MLS. Swamp soccer today for USWNT-Canada.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Follow up from last night. Situation is dire. Grounds were half empty and those who did show were snarling angry. Boos were copious. Swansea scored on an unacceptable own goal because Bachmann is a numb nuts who wanders from his goal too often. Coventry is in fine form so Saturday could get ugly.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Well, I can say I got to witness Ismael's last two matches in person. The 2-1 loss to Coventry yesterday was the backbreaker. Never have seen a support section just deflate like Watford's did after Coventry went ahead in the 72nd. The energy just disappeared. Favorite comment overheard whilst walking back to the Overground station: "At least I don't have to get on a bus to go back to fucking Coventry."

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

United-Liverpool was some game.

Huggy likes this.
  6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Anybody really believe Welsh-surnamed and Scottish-identifying Gordon Ramsay is *really* a Chelsea supporter?

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Nottingham Forest docked four points for violating financial rules and drops to 18th on the table.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

They stole from the rich and gave to the poor?

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And the sheriff caught them.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Oo-de-lally, oo-de-lally, golly what a day.

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Four points is an interesting penalty considering Everton got 10, reduced to six, for being over by a lesser margin. The report claims they got a lesser penalty because they cooperated and Everton (which still has another year's problems hanging over their head) didn't. Then again, Man City appears to have punted its financial transgressions into perpetual limbo, so who even cares?

Forest's penalty is actually even tamer when considering that their run-in features four (Palace, Everton, Burnley, Sheffield United) of the six clubs that can reasonably be considered be in relegation trouble, plus home games with Fulham and Wolves from which they can nick a point. The Sheffield United and Burnley matches are both in May by which point, those teams will probably already be relegated.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The bottom 2 looks pretty set in stone, although Burnley is a couple of results from changing that.

Draft saved Draft deleted