1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 14.5) -- We Don't Need Another Euro

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 13, 2024.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

See I chuckle because CONMEBOL sounds very close to Con Mi Bol or with my bowl. Or with a broken English accent, with me ball.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2024
    SixToe likes this.
  2. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

I’d like to call this post lazy, because it basically is for reasons already cited by others, but CONMEBOL knows most people will think like you’re thinking - that it’s the USA’s fault - and they get off the hook by those who don’t know/don’t care to know who is actually responsible.

Kind of a genius way to toss off culpability, but we should never host Copa again unless there’s some modicum of control by our standard of security imposed by us.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

To me that's insane. You don't rent out your football stadium like its an Air BnB to a bunch of high schoolers the week after graduation. I kind of thought the whole point of doing it here was to give the facilities a test-run ahead of the WC. That's messed. up.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The whole point of doing it here was to make more money than doing it in Brazil or Argentina.

Hermes, HanSenSE, TigerVols and 9 others like this.
  6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

How do you think things like concerts work? Sports teams that primarily use the venues don’t run the concert.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

They don't "run" the event, but they usually have a say in security issues, stadium policies, enforcement of local laws, concession workers. They don't just let randos come in and screw around with the video board, the kitchens, etc. You make it sound like they imported all of the stadium workers, security people and parking attendants from South America.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The contracts between stadiums and one-off attractions like soccer tournaments or concerts are thick as telephone books used to be.

dixiehack likes this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

A few months ago I covered a lower-level MMA card at Kaiser Permanente Arena, where the Warriors G League team, the Santa Cruz Warriors, play. Sea Dubs arena, but the MMA company's event.

Got there early anticipating problems, and there were some, like not being able to get into the arena despite an email credentialing me for the event. Just to be safe, I printed out the email before I left home. Finally the goons at the gate called in someone from the Sea Dubs who not only got me inside, but found a seat for me at what was usually the scorers' table. The MMA folks were of some help eventually, but the Warriors rep came by once an hour or so to see if I needed anything, ect. A few days later I sent her a thank you email, noting I knew all along the problems were with the promoters, not the Sea Dubs.

That's the difference between a team running an event and a team just renting out the hall.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Southgate quits

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Good. Wanker.

Draft saved Draft deleted