1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

If the U.S. even hinted at it, we'd have FIFA up our ass.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

You don't say a word about Mexico. Trot out B-level or C-level players. Say you want to test some possible reserve players and avoid injuries.

3. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

Panama plays Mexico at Azteca. Not that it's the fortress it used to be, but still, they'd be thrilled with a draw. Then it comes down to the final day, where Panama gets a playing-for-nothing U.S. and Mexico gets a playing-for-nothing Costa Rica. Could easily come down to goal difference.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

If nothing else, we should play John Brooks and every dual-citizenship player we've got. Cap-tie everyone we can.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'm interested to see how Klinsi approaches the last two qualifiers. The FIFA rankings come out tomorrow, and if my back-of-the-napkin calculations are correct, we should be around 13, around 100 points out of the top 10.

The top 5 will probably be Spain, Germany, Columbia, Argentina, Italy in some order. The next 5 should be some combination of Belgium, Brazil, Netherlands, Croatia and Portugal. So it's possible (if unlikely) that we could crack the top 10, and there's a very outside chance that we could earn a seed (given to top 8 teams).

So do we let the vets rest and play the starters for the next cycle, or do we try to build familiarity among the expected contributors for Brazil?

Strengthening continuity probably involves calling up a few players to get some time - Brooks, Corona, maybe Torres. Maybe find out if Dolo is healthy. Hell, maybe give Lichaj some run, although that's a long shot. Those guys get substitute time with (largely) the first team. Let a few known quantities go back to their clubs - Altidore, Donovan, Bradley, Jones, Howard, maybe Besler or Dempsey. The case for this: the time for heavy experimentation is over, even if we're not chasing a ranking. We've got impressive depth at nearly every position, so we're just auditioning a few guys for the last few spots.

Experimenting: let all the Euro guys go back to their clubs. Go deep into the talent pool and try to fill the last couple of spots while blooding some players for the 2018 cycle. Replace Jozy and EJ with Johannsson and Boyd up top - moves like that. The team would be heavy with young MLS guys and some outside chances like Kljestan.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

ECW. ECW. ECW.

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Use the final two qualifiers as dress rehearsals for guys on the fringes or who are in the mix at a need position. **coughFULLBACKcough** Let the first string take October off and bring them back in November for the two friendlies (away to Scotland and Austria, I've heard). The chances of the US actually receiving a seed are remote enough that I'd rather focus on filling out the last World Cup roster spots and keeping guys healthy/eligible. Still, I don't know if it'd be a good idea to swap out the entire roster, especially as MLS will be in the last stages of the regular season with playoff spots on the line.

I'm thinking something like a Gold Cup+ roster with fringe Euros and MLS guys whose teams are out of the playoffs. Possible call-ups:
    GK: Guzan, Hamid, Kennedy
    DF: Orozco, Onyewu, Goodson, Brooks, Bocanegra, Ream, Whitbread, Castillo, Parkhurst, Spector, Lichaj
    MF: Diskerud, Kljestan, D. Williams, Torres, Corona, Shea, Gatt
    FW: Boyd, Johannsson, Wood, Magee, McInerney, Agudelo

Villa might not like it, but this would be an opportune time for Guzan to make his case to start in Brazil. With Rimando, Hall and Sean Johnson in the playoff mix, Hamid is the only other MLS keeper who's received a look from Klinsmann; I went with Kennedy partly out of respect for his work and partly out of empathy. Brooks and Goodson would make a solid center back pair, and if Lichaj is ever going to get a shot before the World Cup it's now. (Cherundolo is worth a shot if he's truly healthy.) Kljestan or Diskerud could hold down the creative half of central midfield with Williams or Ream doing the shielding work. Shea and Gatt would provide plenty of straight-line speed (if nothing else) on the outside. Boyd and/or Johannsson seem like the logical starters up top, with Magee, Agudelo or JackMac coming off the bench if their teams are out of the running.

Guys who should get called in if not for the MLS playoffs: Rimando, S. Johnson, Beltran, Evans, Feilhaber, Beckerman, McCarty, Gil, Agudelo, McInerney.

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Can Giuseppe Rossi come back?

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I think you guys are headed for the fringes of the top 8, thereby ensuring that whatever group you get drawn in gets the dreaded GoD label.

10. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

Why would Villa not like it? It's not like he'd be missing time. There's no Premier League matches during the international period. And by actually playing, Guzan would stay in form.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

At what point can we cease using "Mexico has a lot of talent" or some such form? They have guys that can play, yes. But they aren't nearly as good as is claimed. Their best striker is a guy that can't dribble. Their best winger doesn't pick his head up. This isn't a team "dripping with talent." This is a team comprised of over valued mid-talent. They didn't start losing because of lack of confidence. They started losing because their weaknesses were exposed; weaknesses that exist because they aren't nearly as talented as everyone seems to believe.

12. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

There's a case to be made for both methods of thinking for the last two qualifiers. Personally, I don't think it'd hurt to bring up some new people to get them some experience, but at the same time, I'd hate to lose the momentum gained from qualifying with two matches still to go.

Draft saved Draft deleted