1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

MVP: Tim Howard's beard

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Jamacia was horrid, but we hit the gas at the end. A lot of ugly soccer us for far too much of the game.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Kind of to be expected. Nothing to play for. Weaker team. More interest of what's going to happen at that armpit of Azteca.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I turned it on in 67' and was not shocked it was nil-nil.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Rafa Marquez has been brought back from the grave.

6. Inky_Wretch

Well, that was a hell of a match-winner for Mexico.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Couldn't make it that long -- it was all I could do to stay awake through the first half of US-Jamaica. Good for Mexico.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Belated thoughts on the Jamaica game:

- Pretty uninspired overall. We did some things well and probably learned a few things. Even with the different personnel groupings, we looked more comfortable in the 4-2-3-1 that we've been playing and that seems to fit our personnel best. That's a good sign.
    - It will be interesting to see if the overall flatness carries over to the Panama game.
    - Johannsson...good distribution, good creation, poor finishing. Flashes of promise mixed with flashes of incompetence. Played mostly in the 4-4-2, but I'd like to see him in the reserved forward role. I think that fits his game best - he controls the ball well and makes good passes. But he came off when we switched to that formation.
    - Jozy...far from his best game. He seemed sulky and out of sorts, and he stood around far more than he has been. I hope he gets settled at Sunderland and gets his groove back.
    - Donovan was also subpar. Maybe the RM/RW position doesn't really suit him, or maybe he was just off, but he looked bad.
    - Mix struggled as a CM but looked great as a CAM. He and Jones didn't seem to be on the same page early, and he might just not be suited to the holding midfielder role. He has promise as a CAM, but we have three or four guys who are well suited to that role, so I'm not sure how much he helped himself.
    - On the positive side of the ledger...Zusi created a spark, but I think he was a lock for the roster anyway. Evans continues to grow into the RB role - it's still a weakness, but I feel much better about it than I did. Castillo looked great at LB, although Jamaica was pretty well gassed by the time he came in. Cameron looked good at CB. I'm much less worried about the backs than I previously was, although it's still our weakest unit. Kljestan looked solid and could be a steadying presence at CM, although that's a tough place to break in.
    - I think Klinsmann has a pretty good idea of what the roster will be for Brazil. I don't see any major shifts coming.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Once more, for old time's sake.

NY Daily News reports MLS is considering changing to the European calendar. MLS replies: "Um, no."
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/10/considering-european-schedule.html

If I was Don Garber, 1) none of my clothes would fit, and 2) I'd demand from FIFA and anyone else pushing for such a move a long, excruciatingly-detailed explanation of the benefits to MLS and American soccer before even considering aligning with the European calendar.

10. Inky_Wretch

Major drama for Mexico, first they go down to Costa Rica (and thereby out of the WC) but then get an equalizer.

And the USMNT is laying an egg against Panama.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Does a tie knock Mexico completely out or just into the playoff with New Zealand?

12. Inky_Wretch

Into the playoff, I think.

Draft saved Draft deleted