1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Terrible screwup to gift Chelski the win. Joe Hart could be on the way to the bench

And RBNY gets its first trophy today. Great win.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

So just for argument's sake ... if New York doesn't go to MLS Cup, who hosts? Portland if they make it because they won the West? Kansas City, because they finished second in the Supporter's Shield race?

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I'd imagine they work their way down the Supporter's Shield standings, with wins as the first tiebreaker.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Major_League_Soccer_season#Overall_table

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Two home teams are down going to the return leg of the conference semis and one is tied. With no away-goals rule, it should make for an interesting next two days.

I'm going to say Los Angeles pulls it out at Salt Lake, while Kansas City storms back to beat New England. Houston is tied going to New York, and with Houston you never know but I'm going to guess New York jumps out early and rolls. And I wouldn't be surprised to see Seattle beat Portland.

5. Webster

I will be at RBA tonight. I wonder what the mid-week crowd will be like -- they were offering tickets on Groupon and similar sites.

6. TrooperBari

Same old Metro, always ... well, you know.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Don't know how Houston does it. Every. Single. Year.

I'd like to think, as a Sporting supporter, that Houston's luck will run out this year.

8. Webster

Yup. As I said to Pastor last night, how many seasons are going to end on the Metros home field losing the second leg of a series that they should win.

9. TrooperBari

The Curse of Caricola will not be exorcised so easily, apparently. If it's another Houston-LA final, I might just cry.

10. Webster

I said this two weeks ago, but RBNY over-celebrated winning the Supporter's Shield. It's nice, but the name of the game is the Cup.

And my own personal pet peeve as a 10 year season ticket holder is that there are very loyal fans of the teams who don't sit in the South Ward.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Extra time in Rio Tinto and Jeld Wen rocking in Portland. Futbol > college football tonight.

12. Webster

RvP with the only goal for a United over Arsenal. Gunners were pretty even, but didn't create great chances. And Chelsea with a dive which would make Ashley Young blush.

Draft saved Draft deleted