1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Phil Jones must have the skull plate of a triceratops.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The roster for the USMNT's upcoming friendlies:

Goalkeepers (3): Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Tim Howard (Everton), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire)

Defenders (7): DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Eric Lichaj (Nottingham Forest), Michael Orozco (Puebla)

Midfielders (7): Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Roma), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Schalke), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Brek Shea (Stoke City)

Forwards (6): Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders FC), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

This might sound like sacrilege, but should Johannsson be the first-choice striker? He's certainly in form.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Ahead of Jozy? Maybe.

I watched Jozy against Man City and he looked very sluggish, even in a limited sub role. He didn't hustle to force quick passes and didn't track back even when he clearly should have. His post up and pass game looked ok though.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I think he really needs to play well in these friendlies. Granted, he gets no service at Sunderland, but his job seems to be just to hold up the ball and pass to runners. And he's good at that, as you said, but we need more.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

First leg in Amman, Jordan 0-5 Uruguay.

Someone remind me again why Asia needs more World Cup berths than Concacaf. A reason other than an empty suit desperately trying to buy votes, preferably.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Settling in for New Zealand-Mexico on ESPN. C'mon All Whites.

7. NoOneLikesUs

Mexico dominating possession so far. Both teams look terrible though.

8. NoOneLikesUs

El Tri garbage goal in the 32'

9. NoOneLikesUs

2-0 off corner '41...this will get ugly.

10. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

My goodness is New Zealand bad. This isn't even mildly competitive.

11. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

Maybe this is extreme, but having watched a lot of the CONCACAF hex, it seems to me that New Zealand would be seventh among that pecking order. I'm sure they miss Reid, but come on.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Well, to cleanse the palate there's this ...

http://deadspin.com/saudi-team-gives-two-great-displays-of-soccer-sportsman-1463948528

Draft saved Draft deleted