1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

With Uruguay dismantling Jordan, I have to wonder what the hell Blatter or Platini or whoever was thinking when they announced they wanted to give an additional bid to Asia. If anything, CONMEBOL doesn't need a playoff and should just be given an additional team.

If they need to continue the intercontinental playoffs, it should be first-place Oceania vs. fifth-place Asia, winner gets fourth-place CONCACAF.

2. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

Blatter, thinking? Bahahaha! That's a good one!

Agree that CONMEBOL deserves an extra spot and shouldn't be forced into a playoff, and I like your idea of Asia-vs-Oceania, winner vs. CONCACAF. But that'll never happen. Not enough international fixture dates.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Worth remembering that although CONMEBOL only got 4.5 places for this World Cup, they also get Brazil as the host. And there aren't THAT many South American countries, at least not ones that aren't Suriname.

Of course, when the powers-that-be succeed in expanding the World Cup to 40, this will all be moot.

Meanwhile, Iceland draw 0-0 at home to Croatia, Portugal are 1-0 up against Sweden, Ukraine 2-0 up against France (!) and Greece 3-1 up against Romania. So if you bet the over on the latter game, you're in the money.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A fantastic result for USMNT vs. Scotland today, nobody was injured.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Damn, was really hoping Iceland would win.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

1-1 in the second leg would get them there.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Gibraltar (pop. 29,000) will play its first full international tonight and is apparently entering Euro 2016 qualification. Although they can't be drawn against Spain, I have a feeling they're going to make far more embarrassing whipping boys than even San Marino (pop. 31,000) or Andorra (pop. 78,000).

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/nov/19/gibraltar-uefa-slovakia-spain-rock-full-international-football-fixture

Edit to add link, fix population for Gibraltar. The playing pool is about 1,400.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Disappointing night in the European playoffs. Croatia beat Iceland 2-0, so that dream dies. Greece draw 1-1 with Romania to go through 4-2, Portugal beat Sweden 3-2 (4-2) and most remarkably, France beat Ukraine 3-0 and go through 3-2.

Also, South Africa 1-0 Spain. Wouldn't shock me if that were a giant fuck you from the Spanish players to their federation.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I hope the USMNT enjoyed the per diem from that Scotland and Austria trip, because they were just going through the motions on the field.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Japan won 3-2 in Belgium, Honda and Kakitani looked good. Everything else tonight? Utter shit.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I mean, it's not that disappointing, I suppose, that Ukraine didn't make it, given that I haven't forgotten their role in easily the worst World Cup game I've ever seen. But, just, fuck France.

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Having one team prone to RageQuitting in the World Cup is barely tolerable. Two? Ridiculous.

Maybe this is just Sports Burnout getting the better of me, but I think my interest in the next World Cup might be pretty brief.

Draft saved Draft deleted