1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If it's any consolation, nobody hates France's national team worse than the French themselves.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Sporting Kansas City wins the coldest MLS game in history (in front of a record crowd) and will host MLS Cup. As a KC native who was in college when the Wiz(ards) played at Arrowhead, I still can't believe the transformation the franchise has undergone. Sporting Park is gonna be wild in a couple weeks.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I made many trips down I-29 to watch the Zards in Arrowhead. The Cauldron was great fun, but what they have going at Sporting Park is just mind-blowing. I think I'll be OK no matter who wins MLS Cup this year.

Meanwhile, the KC Star SE is catching shit for this tweet:
    https://twitter.com/jeff_rosen88/status/404439749005692928

You can guess how Real American Sports Fans reacted.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

What CONMEBOL/FIFA needs to do is allow Israel back into its proper region. And if certain other countries don't want to play them, well, they can forfeit. Their choice.

It will never happen, but it's a burr up my ass that won't go away. Half-ass countries from Asia qualify for the WC, while Israel gets sent to the European meat grinder.

Rant over.

5. TrooperBari

No, please do continue. Which of Japan, South Korea, Australia or Iran deserves to get kicked out of the World Cup to make way for Israel? Or are there other "half-ass" countries drawing your ire?

Pushing to get Israel back in Asia is a pipe dream. It's a confederation dominated on the field by East Asia but funded by petrodollars -- plus, the Middle East holds a disproportionate amount of sway in the AFC leadership positions. If you really want a shortcut into the World Cup for Israel, get it into Africa. Shorter trips, more bids and fewer potential opponents trying to blast it off the face of the planet.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Yeah, I saw those tweets too. Rosen has really taken a liking to Sporting and he took some heat. I liked the one response that said MLS wasn't major because there wasn't 30 teams. I guess that means MLB wasn't major until 1998 and the NFL 1995.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That cold, and Blatter wonders why it's not a winter sport here?

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Jermain Defoe to Toronto? OK then.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Firefighter works overnight in Glasgow after a helicopter crashes into a pub, then turns out to captain his side in a Scottish Cup tie.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/01/glasgow-helicopter-tragedy-stranraer-captain

10. TrooperBari

A very Toronto signing. The new Robert Earnshaw, if you will. I thought Canadians were supposed to be all sensible and stuff....

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Jol out. Not a big shock, but Fulham need to pick up the pace.

United-Spurs was entertaining, if not top notch soccer. Rooney has been playing great and it is good to see Kagawa getting games.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Iran. They forfeit wrestling and judo matches whenever one of their wrestlers or judo competitors has to face an Israeli, anyway. Besides, Australia, Japan and South Korea have no problem playing Israel. This wasn't directed at them, Trooper.

And I'd have no problem with Israel playing in Africa.

As I said, this was a get-a-longtime-rant-off-my-chest. Nothing more. I'm well aware of the dynamics that keep Israel in a region it has no prayer of ever surviving. I just happen to think they blow goats and swallow. That's all.

Draft saved Draft deleted