1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think I've said this before Birdscribe, but it's my belief that in the long run it's to the benefit of Israeli soccer to be placed in Europe. You only get better playing better teams. If Bosnia can qualify out of Europe, and Iceland damn near, then there's no inherent reason Israel couldn't.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Israel can qualify from Europe like an Ireland or a Bosnia can, but it would be so much easier from their proper geographic region.

In other news, as usual, the MLS Cup just gets buried in the avalanche of NFL, NCAA and big European soccer news. They have to move the Cup to an earlier date.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

CONCACAF and Asia are placed in the same pot for the World Cup draw. Here are the full results ...

Pot 1
    Brazil
    Argentina
    Colombia
    Uruguay
    Belgium
    Germany
    Spain
    Switzerland

Pot 2
    Algeria
    Cameroon
    Ivory Coast
    Ghana
    Nigeria
    Chile
    Ecuador

Pot 3
    Australia
    Iran
    Japan
    Korea Republic
    Costa Rica
    Honduras
    Mexico
    USA

Pot 4
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Croatia
    England
    France
    Greece
    Portugal
    Italy
    Netherlands
    Russia

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

While Sporting Park will be packed and rocking, Missouri is playing for the SEC championship at the exact same time, and Kansas basketball is tipping off at Colorado at 2:15 p.m.

I don't know if a Friday after Thanksgiving would work, but a Friday at this point seems to make more sense.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Friday after Thanksgiving would be death for a league that promotes itself so much toward families. As for moving MLS Cup earlier, even if MLS does so, the final date will still creep into late November/early December as the new teams arrive (unless the EPL gets its wish and international soccer gets abolished, that is).

6. Michael_ Gee

Is my memory at fault, or did the MLS Cup final used to take place in October?

7. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

It did, when the league had fewer teams. Consulting a random Screaming Eagles souvenir, the second MLS Cup was held Oct. 25, 1997.

I believe the complaint then was conflicts with the World Series.

8. Michael_ Gee

There are going to be conflicts with other sports no matter when it's held. My belief is that the MLS season is too damn long.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Every pro sports season is too damn long.

10. TrooperBari

Jurgen Klinsmann seems to believe it's too damn short. By European standards, it's comparable -- 34 league games plus any US Open Cup or Concacaf Champions League commitments. You're right that there will always be conflicts with other sports, though, so for me, MLS might as well err on the side of what's best for those fans who do show up.

11. TrooperBari

Spending $11 million on a 90-minute show at a luxury resort in middle-of-nowhere Brazil? That's so FIFA.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11167200

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Happy World Cup draw day! Here's hoping for Switzerland in the USA group and no Ghana. Other than that, I won't be picky.

Draft saved Draft deleted