1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

That blue looks very bright, royal blue rather than the more traditional navy from the American flag. I'm not a fan of that shade, but I like the cleaner style.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I don't know if I "love" the collar look. More of a T-shirt neck fan

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Toronto FC formally introduced both Michael Bradley and Jermain DeFoe this morning.

The United States men's national team for the 2014 World Cup may be almost all MLS-based players... something I never thought I'd say.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Definitely a year to invest in the MLS streaming video package. I have to say, I'm a bit torn by this influx of American talent into MLS -- it's great for the league in terms of marketing and improved play, but at the same time I can't help but wonder if this will have a negative effect on the national team. Klinsmann certainly can't be turning backflips over it.

Then again, maybe we've reached the point where the interests of MLS/SUM and those of the national team/USSF no longer move in lock step. That's progress ... right?

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Mata to United picking up steam. I think they would be better served getting a couple of new CBs or someone to replace Evra.

7. TrooperBari

That's 40 million quid that could be going toward a holding midfielder -- the thing pretty much every pundit and their dog says United needs. Maybe Moyes is banking on replicating the Ozil effect?

Regardless, Mata going to Old Trafford means one of Van Persie or Rooney (not to mention Kagawa) are gone. Seeing how Moyes has hitched his wagon to Rooney, I think I know where I'd put my money.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The disaster of Moyes continues. United lose to Sunderland in the league cup on penalties. First Sunderland scored with a minute to go in extra time to go up 1 and then United tie it at the end. The worst penalty shoot out ever has 4 shots go over the bar, 3 saves and Sunderland with 2 made to United's 1.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You never want to replace a legend, you want to replace the legend's replacement as Moyes is finding out.

Though I don't know if SAF himself could have done much with this team.

And the Mata deal is allegedly finalized too.

10. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

You couldn't be more wrong. All 3 players can and will stay, and can flourish.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

What a great deal for Chelsea. They turned a guy who wasn't seeing any action into $60 million.

12. TrooperBari

Where will they play? The hole can only accommodate so many people. Perhaps Moyes (or whomever is in charge) will take a cue from noted tactical whiz Sam Allardyce and play without any strikers? ManYoo is not going to spunk 40 million quid on Mata just to stick him on the wing and leave him to rot.

Draft saved Draft deleted