1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It is going to be hard if you want the three of them and two wingers on the field at the same time because I don't think Carrick as a ball winner ahead of the back 4 is ideal. Maybe you play Rafael/Valencia as some sort of combo defender/winger and put Jones or Fletcher in the Makelele role (which really needs to be upgraded). You can't keep Januzaj on the bench at this point.

2. Webster

Falcao out for the WC with a torn ACL. Colombia still has a pretty easy group, but it just got more wide open.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Rooney reportedly close to signing a new contract with United through the 2018 season.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10596336/Wayne-Rooney-close-to-agreement-with-Manchester-United-over-new-five-year-deal-to-stay-at-Old-Trafford.html

If that happens, he might just stay at Old Trafford long enough to see Giggs retire.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Altidore, Ream, Onyewu and Will Packwood all start and go 90 in the FA Cup tonight, with Onyewu scoring the winner for Sheffield Wednesday at Rochdale. Too bad Jozy couldn't score against a team from the Conference, but otherwise a decent night thus far for Americans.

5. Webster

Jozy stands around too much on offense. Even as a target forward, it would help if every now and then, he would come out to receive the ball.

6. Webster

I was watching the end of Lazio-Juve. Ray Hudson sounds like he is always on the verge of an orgasm.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

FA Cup draw turns up five all-Premier League ties, two all-Championship ties and the remaining tie matching the winners of two replays, with only one PL team represented.

Arsenal-Liverpool and Man City-Chelsea.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Wondo looks good today.

9. Webster

I'm guessing that Davis doesn't have to drop by the embassy for a travel visa.

10. Webster

Awesome own goal.

http://deadspin.com/barcelona-benefit-from-maybe-the-worst-own-goal-of-all-1516951695

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I can tell we were all underwhelmed by Goldenballs announcement of Miami Vice FC.

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

When the Miami Sound Machine has a stadium plan and a start date, then I'll give a damn. http://www.kenn.com/the_blog/?p=5819

I like that they say they're doing this without asking for public money, and I'll like it even more if they stick to their word. The thing to watch will be what role, if any, Traffic plays in the creation of the team and if Traffic-owned players start being funneled into the club.

Draft saved Draft deleted