1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There's always the possibility that by 2022 Iranian tanks will be standing where the stadiums were supposed to be. There are very few societies Iran could improve but Qatar is sure one.

2. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Patrick Grange, a lifelong soccer player who died from complications of ALS before age 30, was found to have CTE -- which may have had a role in the early onset and rapid development of ALS.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/27/sports/soccer/researchers-find-brain-trauma-disease-in-a-soccer-player.html?ref=sports&_r=0

3. Michael_ Gee

Walter, skyscrapers do not count as much on development scale as does virtual slave labor. Iran is a horrible theocracy, and its citizens have more human rights than do the citizens of Qatar -- and Qatar's immigrant workers have no rights at all.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

USMNT v. Ukraine in Cyprus might not happen.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/cyprus-fa-postpones-league-matches-after-referee-attack-022814?cmpid=tsmfb:fscom:FOXSoccer

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

While the US won 2-0 in qualifying for the 2002 World Cup in Columbus, I think the "Dos a Cero" taunt actually began with the win in the 2002 World Cup.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Yeah...it doesn't look promising.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Ray Hudson just now -- "Gervinho is off like a prom dress". Outstanding.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Jozy not even in the 18 for the League Cup final. Between that and Dempsey's awful performance yesterday, our strikers need to turn it on

9. Inky_Wretch

Stu Holden played 20-plus minutes for Bolton's reserves today ... before leaving the match with a knee injury.

10. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

U.S. Soccer revealed the new home jersey yesterday, which, oddly, includes royal blue. I'm not sure when that shade became part of the traditional red, white and blue flag. There are also grey horizontal pinstripes which aren't easily visible in most of the images I've seen.

Rumor has it the road kit will be red.

I'm not a fan, only because to me it looks too much like an ordinary polo and not an actual jersey. Also that whole royal-not-navy blue thing. But it's not nearly as ostentatious as it could have been -- anyone seen those Olympic uniforms?!? -- and I suspect it will sell incredibly well.

11. Michael_ Gee

I don't fancy the chances of a national sports team run by an organization unable to correctly reproduce the colors of the national flag.

12. Inky_Wretch

Looks like England's classic Umbro jersey. I want to see them with names and numbers. The wrong font there could ruin it.

Draft saved Draft deleted