1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

He looked OK. Like Ian Darke said, this is really the first time most people have seen him. All we really know is that he's had an impressive strike rate in the fourth division of the Bundesliga. I doubt many other Bundesliga 4 players will be in Brazil this summer.

If he makes the World Cup squad, it had better be Wondo getting left off. I don't want to bump Johnson or Johannsson for Green.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

So, do you think that Klinsi promised him a spot for the switch? I do.

3. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

Absolutely think he did.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Could Portland and Seattle just play every week? Horrid defending at times, but an entertaining match.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

6. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

From the official press release...

U.S. Soccer has announced that Tom Sermanni has been relieved of his duties as head coach of the U.S. Women's National Team, effective immediately.

U.S. Soccer Director of Development Jill Ellis will serve as interim head coach, starting with the USA's next match against China PR on April 10 in San Diego.

"We want to thank Tom for his service over the past year and half, but we felt that we needed to go in a different direction at this time," said U.S. Soccer President Sunil Gulati. "We will begin looking for a new coach immediately to guide our Women's National Team toward qualifying for the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup."

"I'm disappointed that things didn't work out, but I'd like to thank U.S. Soccer for the opportunity to have coached this team and also the staff and players for all their hard work," said Sermanni.

Ellis previously served as interim head coach for seven matches at the end of 2012, going 5-0-2.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yet the uniform designer keeps his/her job?

Seriously, this seems out of left field.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Off the field activities? That's my only guess.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Well, they did lose a couple of matches.

But, yeah, this is odd.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I think it's possible -- not necessarily likely, but possible -- that the MLS team develops the same kind of hipster fanbase that has worked in places like Seattle and Portland. There's certainly no shortage of yuppies in Buckhead, etc. But the trials and tribulations of Atlanta pro sports teams are well-documented for a reason.

Then again, maybe the MLS team fills whatever niche is left in downtown by the Braves moving out to Cobb. Blank, et al., should at least be able to market.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

maybe not odd after the tourney in Portugal, but strange that they let him have the match.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Grant Wahl mentioned that Gulati likely spoke to some of the players before making this decision.

Losing to Pia at the Algarve Cup probably didn't help.

Draft saved Draft deleted