1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

David Silva just stretched off, left ankle. Did not look good

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's done.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

So, does Giggs put himself in to try to get a goal and keep the streak of scoring in every EPL season?

4. Inky_Wretch

Doesn't seem like his style these days.

As a Giggs fanboi looser, I'm split on this interim tag. I always thought he'd go off somewhere, learn the manager's game, work his way up and then take over 10-15 years after his last match. Part me thinks this seals his fate. Either he earns the job full-time or he never returns to United.

5. Webster

No way they go with him. His best case is to be a number 2 with another club and try to take over a smaller club in a couple of years.

For me, the former player most likely to take over the club (although not immediately) would be Gary Neville. He's got the SAF personality.

6. Inky_Wretch

Neville has been pretty outspoken about the firing of Moyes. He might not have burned a bridge, but he at least poured some gas on it.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I think David Moyes drank from a poisoned chalice. It was pretty evident that the championship team from a year ago was in its last hurrah. Ferguson got out while the getting was good and left an aging team that had been ingrained in his ways.

Ferguson was also never going to suggest someone as a successor who had equal or greater stature than himself. No Mourinho, Guardiola, etc.

Hire Moyes and he succeeds? Ferguson looks good. Hire Moyes and he fails? Makes Ferguson's era look good.

Of course, the summer transfer window fuck-up played a big role too, but that's partly down to Man U's dumb front office set-up.

That club has big problems. Aging roster, questionable owners, mountains of debt. Whoever comes in there better have their eyes wide open.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Mourinho is proposing to sit most Chelsea regulars against Liverpool to rest them for Champions League second leg, essentially handing title to Liverpool.

9. Webster

They won the league by 11 points and didn't lose anyone who mattered. I think that, RvP aside, they have crapped the bed on transfers the past few years (and should never have let Pogba go) and especially let their defense get old. The best part of that team was always Vidic-Rio and they let both get old and not replace them with top-4 quality.

10. Webster

Tito Vilanova passes away at age 45.

11. Webster

Excellent line by Roger Bennett -- David Moyes knows what Ryan Giggs's brother feels like.

12. Webster

Chelsea win 2-0 at Anfield. Liverpool no longer in control of their own destiny as Man City will almost certainly win the title (on GD) if they win their last 4.

Draft saved Draft deleted