1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Holy crap.

Full squad here.

http://www.espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1830254/landon-donovan-maurice-edu-left-world-cup-squad?cc=5901

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Crazy -- he is US Soccer. And why not have him as a super sub in case we need offense?

3. Inky_Wretch

The optics of this could doom JK's tenure with the USMNT. If the team flames out - even in the Group of Death - without a rusty Donovan on the roster, the wolves will be at the door.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

From a performance standpoint, not really that surprising. He hasn't done jack for the Galaxy this year.

When they announced the 30 players for the camp, I read one of the reasons Eddie Johnson was left out was that Klinsmann was looking at Donovan as a forward rather than a midfielder. I remember thinking at the time that if that's the case, I'd rather have Johnson on my team than Donovan.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Because he hasn't produced any offense recently.

6. Webster

Jozy hasn't done anything for a year. Why is he on the roster?

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You got me. I just know Donovan hasn't been his old self lately. The rest is up to Klinsmann. I didn't have a thing to do with it.

I'd still rather have Eddie Johnson on my team as a striker rather than Donovan right now.

8. Inky_Wretch

Would you rather have Green or Donovan at midfield though?

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm not picking the whole roster! I was just relating my thoughts when I heard Donovan was picked over Johnson for the camp. I'll leave the rest to the professionals.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Based on recent comments to the media, Klinsmann is aware of this.

No question Landon isn't what he was a few years ago. But a little surprised no one thought he might come in handy should anything happen to Dempsey or Jozy, be it physical or cards.

And given Sunil's love affair with Klinsmann, I question if bad results in Brazil get him sacked. Last I checked, the U.S. is in the Group of Death.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

BTW, it's kind of cool (at least it is to me) that so many of the best U.S. players are playing in MLS these days -- 10 of the 23 on the World Cup team, to start with.

12. Webster

And I still think that if you have never lived in the US, you shouldn't play for our country.

Draft saved Draft deleted