1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Vaguely related, the nonleague side I watch once had its goalkeeper sent off for punching a defender ... on his own team.

Sadly I wasn't there.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I assume then, for consistency's sake, you're pissed off that Timmy Chandler, Mix Diskerud, Fabian Johnson and John Brooks are on the US team?

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I don't want any of them on the team. If you never lived here, you shouldn't play for the US.

As to Rossi, I just don't understand how a kid born here and who spent the first 12 so years of his life here before moving to start his soccer career had no desire to play for his home country.

4. PCLoadLetter

He didn't want to be here and I assume his family felt a greater affinity for Italy. If he grew up dreaming of playing for Italy and he was eligible to do it, I can't really fault him. It would have been nice to have him, but I was rooting for him to do well regardless, and I'm bummed that he's out.

Regardless, I applaud your consistency. I'm tired of hearing people rag on Rossi for turning his back on his country but cheering for guys who are "American" because they aren't good enough to play for Germany or Norway.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Germany OK, but if the US is taking guys not good enough to play for Norway maybe US Soccer should be disbanded. I'm nowhere near a soccer guru, but I can't remember too many successful runs in the WC for the Norwegians.

6. Would Kiinsmann select a guy who can't go 90 minutes?

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

His dad was a legendary coach in North Jersey. Apparently the kid grew up with dreams of playing for the Azzurri and it never was a debate.

I can't believe that about a third of our squad is made up of technicalities.

8. PCLoadLetter

Norway hasn't qualified since 1998. They're undefeated against Brazil, though, so they've got that going for them, which is nice.

To be fair, Norway has to qualify in Europe. Move Norway to CONCACAF and they'd at least get there more often.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

I agree Europe is insanely tough. I remember someone here was calling for more Asia and/or Africa qualifiers last World Cup in the opening round after France and another European country were upset by less heralded teams. Reminded me of the bs we hear when a mid-major pulls off an upset in the NCAA Tournament.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I am not a fan picking up players on technicalities. David Regis always comes to mind. As much as I like Klinsmann, I also think national team coaches should be from that country, too. Chandler's situation reminds me of Ernie Stewart and Thomas Dooley.

As Webster said about Rossi, I can't fathom how a kid born and raised in the U.S. doesn't want to wear the stars and stripes. The same is true in the Olympics when you have people from the U.S. and Canada representing some island in the middle of the Pacific. At least with those people and the castoffs U.S. Soccer has picked up, it wasn't like Rossi couldn't make our squad and went somewhere else. He had the potential to be one of the greats and turned his back on us.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

This reminds me of Felix Sanchez, the Olympic gold medalist and world champion 400-meter hurdler for the Dominican Republic. Born in New York City, grew up in San Diego and went to USC, never lived anywhere but the U.S. in his life.

That guy really pissed me off.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

If a player like Jermaine Jones is not good enough for Germany but is good enough for the US, no big deal. It's not like he turned his back on Germany. He never would have played in a World Cup for Germany.

If Aron Johannssen is good enough for Iceland and the US, yeah, he should probably play for his real home nation (but you really can't fault a guy for wanting to play in the World Cup and knew he had a better shot by playing for the US).

As for Rossi ... I guffawed when i heard he got cut.

Draft saved Draft deleted