1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The stupidest thing your state high school association allows to happen

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by printdust, Apr 28, 2010.

1. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Ohio has three classes in boys and girls track, with the state meet held at Ohio State over a two-day period, and it goes off like clockwork.

Wrestling has three classes and is held over a three-day period (Thursday night, all day Friday, all day Saturday) at one location at Ohio State. As with track, it goes off without a hitch.

2. agreed

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Kansas track has six classes in track. But since there's only about 360 schools in the association, all six classes can be held at Wichita State in two days.

Wrestling has four classes, but only because 3A, 2A and 1A are combined. If 3A ever gets to 33 schools, then I think 3A can be broken away ... unless 2A and 1A combined have less then 24. The formula is kind of odd.

Track is the only spring sport in which at least 2A and 1A are not combined. Golf has 2-1A combined but also has a sand greens title, so there are still six titles. I think only about 24 schools compete for the sand greens title.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Don't know how any other association would have handled it, but it's been my experience that if there's a wrong way to handle it, the Arizona Interscholastic Association would have found it:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/Blog/OdeenDomingo/81869

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I believe there is one Seventh-Day Adventist school in the KSHSAA. They've been in post-season tournaments. They compete on Fridays and Saturdays in the sports they do have (It doesn't come up in football because they don't have a team). I've never heard the question even come up but I think the school admits students of all faiths and this may be why it's not an issue.

Were this to happen, I can't see how the KSHSAA would resolve it. I think they would try. But all eight teams would have to agree to wait until maybe 8 p.m. Saturday night to play the semifinals and maybe not play for first or third until after 10. It wouldn't work.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Thought of another one.
    They require coaches to call/fax/e-mail results to the state's lone big paper.
    No mention of contacting the little guys.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Allowing tournament directors, usually a coach or AD, at state tournament sites to list their office phone on the contact list. Because, you know, when you're calling at 10 p.m. to get scores there's always somebody in a school office to answer the phone at that hour.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

here's one:

http://theparisnews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=5bfd8442b7b4d9c3

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

In Eastern Massachusetts, most sports have their tournaments broken into North and South sectionals.
    In boys lacrosse, it's just Eastern Mass., which means that a school on the North Shore might have to go to Cape Cod for an early round game on a Friday, in June.
    The reason they don't break into North and South is because the tournament is power-seeded, which is a good thing (most sports are seeded strictly by record) and the coaches want the best teams to meet in the finals regardless of where they are geographically. But with gas costing as much as it does and traffic as bad as it is heading to the Cape on a Friday, I'd rather see it split into North and South.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Consider that a blessing for you.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Well, if you're the local paper, you're supposed to cover every game of every team at the local high school in person.

12. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

That's with one person, who also takes pictures.

Draft saved Draft deleted