1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The stupidest thing your state high school association allows to happen

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by printdust, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Hell, if it's basketball, I'd bet on the jailbirds every time. Probably a good number of NBA wannabees in that crowd.

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Oh, I thought of another one:

They let me officiate :)

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

The latest from the Mississippi association:

BRUCE BASEBALL TEAM REMOVED
    FROM MHSAA CHAMPIONSHIPS

Clinton, Mississippi (May 18, 2010) – Today the MHSAA Executive Committee upheld the decision of the executive director to withdraw the Bruce baseball team from championship play due to a violation of the 17 inning per calendar week MHSAA pitching rule.
    Late on Monday, May 17, 2010, it was reported to the MHSAA office that Bruce High School had allowed their baseball pitcher to pitch 17 2/3 innings during a calendar week. A calendar week is defined in the MHSAA Handbook on page 20 under Rule c. Rules governing Baseball: “calendar week defined as Monday through Sunday.” Rule j on page 20 states, “A pitcher shall not pitch more than 17 innings per week.”

The primary reason for the rule limiting the number of innings a pitcher can pitch in a week is because of the safety issue insuring a pitcher takes care of his physical well being so as not to injure his arm. The rule also insures that there is fair competition among teams.
    This rule limiting the number of innings for a pitcher has always been interpreted by the MHSAA office as applying to the calendar week as defined in the handbook. The head coach at each school is responsible for knowing the rules of his or her sport.
    MHSAA Executive Director Ennis Proctor stated, “The MHSAA regrets that a situation such as this has occurred at any time—but it is especially regrettable during the post season or play-off season. In order to be fair to all of our schools who have followed the rules, we must enforce the rule and not allow Bruce High School to advance in the playoffs due to this rule violation. It is regrettable that student athletes must suffer for adult mistakes.”

Because of the executive committee's upholding this decision, Hamilton's baseball team will advance to the 2A championship at Trustmark Park next week.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I've got no problem with that.

5. Petrie

Petrie Guest

In our section of the CIF, that limit is 10.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Me neither. If a rule is violated, a punishment should be handed out.

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Just threw it out for general consumption. I don't care for an inning limit, but would rather see a pitch-count limit. In 17 innings, a kid could throw something like 500 pitches and really fuck up his arm, or throw as few as 51 (the absolute minimum) and add no wear to his arm whatsoever.

BTW, this may not be the end of this story. I'm hearing that the people in Bruce are talking about filing an injunction against the MSHAA. Just what we need, a baseball title decided in court.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Screw 'em. That 17-inning limit is the most I've ever heard of, and they still can't abide by it (12 would be more than generous).

9. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Yeah, 17 is nuts. The most we ever have anyone throw here (on the Oregon side of the state line) is 14. Throw 7 Tuesday, 7 Saturday.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like 12 so that you pretty much guarantee that someone else has to pitch in a given week.

11. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Teams here usually play 3 games per week...the state with the inning limit usually 4. The talent here tends to drop off quickly after the ace...

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Michigan does out -- you get 30 in a week.

Draft saved Draft deleted