1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The stupidest thing your state high school association allows to happen

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by printdust, Apr 28, 2010.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The CIF's Sac-Joaquin Section that does that too. Makes more sense than innings. For example (and this is an extreme one, but has happened): Kid come in as a reliever with two men on and, on the first pitch, batter hits into a triple play. Is is it fair to ding the pitcher with one inning thrown when he's responsible for one batter.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I don't see where they have a case. Rule stated. Rule broken. Penalty enforced. Done and done. I bet dollars to donuts this gets thrown out as fast as it gets filed.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

In Massachusetts, the Division 1 tournament baseball games are nine innings. Some leagues also play nine-inning games.
    No high school has enough pitching for nine-inning games. It's not like playing seven innings is protecting bad coaches. Developing enough pitchers to get through nine-inning games is not a coaching issue.
    Some old-school coaches say it's real baseball. Using that logic, high school football games should be 15-minute quarters.
    But I've never heard a football coach argue for that.

4. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Ohio has 10 innings over a three-day stretch.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Kerry Wood can tell you what the Texas limit is.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Dumb rule, but it is what it is.

7. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Slight change to the Ohio High School Athletic Association's media credential policy for photographers at this year's track meet.

I'm sure Impact Action Sports Photography has fine photographers and produces fine work. I'm also sure a small weekly like mine hasn't the funds to pay for their help. Luckily, I'll be there to cover our local kids, but other papers may have an issue.
    In small towns, it's not uncommon for an athlete's parent to also be a freelance photographer (I've been blessed for the past few years with a superb photog who also doubles as an athlete's mom) or even THE photographer (as will be the case if my son competes when he gets to high school) for a paper. A simple 'don't cheer' is all I've ever had to pass along before sending out such a freelancer.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

We have that, too. But I understand he OHSAA's dilemma. If you start giving credentials to whomever, where to you draw the line?

If you're a small paper without the resources to send your own people, make a deal with the local paper, the OHSAA or someone else who is credentialed.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

A bit off topic, but Legion baseball games can get to be a drag. Doubleheaders where each game is nine-innings.

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

There's a pretty simple solution. Give the association the name of the person you're using. That's all they should need.

11. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

I talked to one of our local coaches about the Mississippi ruling yesterday and he said the 17-inning limit is an NFHS rule. And in this case, the Bruce pitcher didn't throw on three consecutive days. The team played Game 3 of its second-round series on Monday, he came back and threw a complete game in Game 2 of the semifinals on Friday, then went a few innings on Saturday in relief -- and went over the limit by two-thirds of an inning.
    The coach I talked to, who is friends with the Hamilton coach (the team that benefited from the ruling), also said his buddy didn't want to file a protest. He was beaten on the field and was OK with it. The administration and, I'm guessing, parents and fans pressed the issue.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Do they mean freelance without an assignment? If you can't get photog credentials, don't get art. When parents call, blame the high school association.

As for credentialing parents of athletes, it gets ridiculous when some parent with a $500 camera thinks are suddenly God's gift to sports photography with the hundreds of shots of their kids standing around picking their nose.

Draft saved Draft deleted