1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The stupidest thing your state high school association allows to happen

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by printdust, Apr 28, 2010.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Didn't say that. I said they can't without repercussion. If they eject someone who isn't affecting the game and don't follow the association's protocol, there can be repercussion. The official can be warned, fined, pulled from playoff games. That's repercussion.

AS bydesign said, they can ask then throw out. If they skip step A, step B can come with a price.

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I didn't quite say the ref handled it completely correct but am refuting (sp) the fact they couldn't throw the photog out.

And a ref isn't going to take the time to "review" the pics. If the team says it is bothering them, that's all he needs to hear.

It's like bands in football games. There's no specific rule, but if the team can't hear cause the band is playing, flags can be thrown.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'll slow this down. If the ref asks the photographer to stop because it's bothering a team, and the photographer doesn't, yes. They deserve to be tossed. If the ref skips step A and goes right to B, the ref is in the wrong. Same priniciple as the band -- warn first.
    Secondly, I didn't say the ref needs to look at pics. But if I'm the photographer, I'm already across town this morning showing the state association the card and photos in sequence.
    The ref handled this wrong. Period.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

And I will slow it down. I agree that the ref should've asked first, but he doesn't have to. There is no "you must first warn" before tossing. That's a myth like the tie goes to the runner in baseball.

The photog won't get anywhere with this, and that sucks. Because the ref was most likely a primadonna and wanted to exert his authority.

I agree with you, dumbass. So stop trying to make it seem like I'm stoopid.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Because calling people "dumbass" is an ideal way to achieve consensus.

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I agree trooper. That's why I used it.

7. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

This makes me feel better about the two states I deal with.
    The only thing I have a problem, off the top of my head, is the divisions in Vermont. They always change and I'm never sure what teams are where. Both vt and nys have pretty good websites.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The photographer needs to get a decent camera.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Unless he's a freelancer.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I agree with this edit. Our camera can't shoot in most gyms without a flash or else it will look either grainy, blurry or too dark. And even then, there are certain buildings where the flash won't help (thanks, mercury lights!). We have to use a freelancer who has a better camera to shoot football (or anything else outside after dark) and any indoor athletics.

Sad thing about that is, I told our ME a few years ago that we needed better stuff and we did get better stuff. But our budget was too tight to get what we really needed.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Update: It was a school official who ran the photographer. The only thing that the home team had asked was not to use the flash during free throws. The school official's response was "We were told last year never to let them use a flash." The weekly paper in the area was also there, used a flash and the guy never said a word to him, even though he's standing next to him. Home team coach never knew that the photog had been tossed.
    And the aside is that the state association has a rule, albeit rarely used, prohibiting indoor flash photography. Strobes OK, Flash not. The "rule" is not in their handbook, but "on file."
    They also own the rights to all photos taken at their events, but that's a story for another day.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Maybe, but there are gyms in every state where a magnesium flare wouldn't give off enough light...

Draft saved Draft deleted