1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The stupidest thing your state high school association allows to happen

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by printdust, Apr 28, 2010.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Either that or go with a College World Series type of format to decide a champion...seems like that would attract more fans to the ballpark, too.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

(bump) Galleries limited at San Diego Section girls golf final:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/nov/07/lawsuit-limiting-galleries-as-golfers-play-in/

3. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Somebody got hit in the head and sued. Lucky they aren't around when I play.

4. spud

spud Member

Trouble is, that will never happen. 3-game series will continue to be the norm and we'll continue to expand playoff brackets. And at the very least, things will stay bloated. For the record, I hate the series format. Coaches love it because it doesn't punish you for having an off night, but do basketball coaches get the same luxury?

5. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Wondering: I see the PIAA basketball championships are held at Penn State. Think that will change?

6. sctvman

sctvman New Member

Another weird thing that South Carolina does: the 4A cheerleading semi-finals. They have Upper State and Lower State on separate days, one in Rock Hill (Upper State), and Lower State (on the west side of Columbia).

Upper State has 23 schools competing, with the top 8 making it. In the Lower State, you have to be in the top 4, and only 11 schools make it. Schools across town in Columbia have to go to Rock Hill, while Lower State teams (including Beaufort) have to go to the other side of Columbia.

The football is weird too. Because of the new playoff system, an 0-10 team made the playoffs, and promptly got pasted by one of the leading teams in the area, who lost one game (a region game), and was a #5 seed in the playoffs in their division, having to go on the road the next round.

In 4A, the points system is wacky, with a 7-4 team missing the playoffs because they didn't have enough points, while in the same region a 4-7 Sumter hosts (a team who started 2-7).

7. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Well every media outlet in the state is already on campus, so it would be pretty convenient

8. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

The AA thing is funkey, but I like the AAAA one. Carolina Forest should have scheduled better.

9. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

We had a soccer team go 1-10-1 this year and get into the playoffs over a 4-8-0 team. Not that either should have made it, but really 1-10-1 gets you in???

10. Bernie51

Bernie51 New Member

I'm not sure if this still goes on because I've been mostly out of the biz for the last few years, but the CIF (California Interscholastic Federation)-Southern Section (essentially most of Southern California, leaving out San Diego area and Los Angeles City schools) does not play overtime in section championship soccer games. It's not an AYSO, they-played-hard-to-get-here-so-let's-reward-both-teams kind of thing, though that's what they try to tell you. It's totally about keeping a schedule. They set up two sites for all the championship games and the trains are going to run on time no matter what. Invariably, when a game ends tied, there's one team crying and another celebrating.

11. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

So they have co-champions? And is that it in California, or is there a state final as well?

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No CIF-sponsored state soccer tournament at this time. Sectiional is as far as high school goes. Groups like AYSO may do something different, but it's such flustercluck after high schools ...

Draft saved Draft deleted