1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I figure we could use a place to talk generally about TV shows that don't have their own threads and old TV shows and to give warnings when a particularly good rerun is on or something has been made available on Netflix Instant or whatever.

Anyway, at whatever point I finish Veronica Mars, I am going to need a new old show to power through. Here's what I'm thinking: Six Feet Under, The Mary Tyler Moore Show or Deadwood. I haven't seen a single episode of any of those.

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Vers, have you ever seen "Soap"? The first two seasons are epic.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just because.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Talk about an eclectic grouping...

maumann likes this.
  6. I love westerns.
    I tried Deadwood and hated it. Watched two or three episodes and gave up.

And I must be the only person in America - or on SportsJournalists.com, anyway - that failed to see the greatness of The Wire. I watched a season and a half.

I'll watch Modern Family when I can.
    The only must-see TV for me right now is Walking Dead and Justified. Everything else is off Netflix. Currently The Sopranos.
    Just finished Game of Thrones, which I loved.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Didn't like Deadwood or The Wire?

You're a goddamn alien.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Girlfriend and I are 5 episodes into the first season of Downton Abbey on Netflix. I figured I'd hate it, but it's really, really good.

Only problem is Netflix doesn't have rights to future seasons, so I'm either going to have to sign up for Amazon streaming as well or break down and buy the DVDs.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dear Evil... Do you get the Encore Westerns channels on cable. "Have Gun Will Travel," "Legend of Wyatt Earp" and "Lawman" are among the '50s shows they air regularly. The first one is still OK viewing. Also Gene Autry movies every Sunday.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

The first season is really good. The writing and plotting of the show go downhill after that. I still keep up with it, but I don't enjoy it nearly as much as I used to.

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Right now I'm mostly on TV hiatus until I finish up my thesis. I just watch a British sci-fi show, Torchwood, for when I need a break. For anyone interested in a well-written, well-executed mini-series about aliens trying to take over the world, the third season of Torchwood is for you. It helps to have seen the previous seasons (and Doctor Who), but the 3rd season is fairly self-contained and only five episodes - all dedicated to the same storyline.

I plan to do The Sopranos and Deadwood this summer, and also catch up with the first seasons of House of Cards and The Americans. I keep up with so many current shows, and have so many other shows that I want to get to, that I keep a spreadsheet to remind me when current shows are coming back and have a list of shows I eventually want to get to. Here are the shows I'm planning to get to at some point:

The Sopranos
    Deadwood
    House of Cards
    The Americans
    Battlestar Gallactica
    Twin Peaks
    Jekyll
    The Good Wife
    The IT Crowd
    Misfits (though, it seems just the first season or two from what I've heard)
    Justified

And here are the shows I watch that are still on the air:
    Doctor Who
    Boardwalk Empire
    Downton Abbey
    Modern Family
    Homeland
    Dexter
    Parks and Rec
    Louie
    Archer
    Sherlock
    Game of Thrones
    Mad Men
    Luther
    Breaking Bad
    Girls
    Veep
    Fresh Meat
    The League
    New Girl

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

There is too much good TV on right now to keep up with it all.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted