1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It’s not the Apple model and I think they wanted the speculation to build up

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It is really well done. Almost done with it. The episodes are a little long but worth it.

The Morocco episode was so stress inducing.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I don't mind the Pluto service, but their television app is complete garbage. I would say it's an example of getting what you pay for, but Crackle is also free, with a much better interface. I usually look for old TV shows on that, before going to Pluto.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

IMDb TV is fairly decent, at least on a Fire TV.

And, they recently added Perfect Strangers — one of my absolute favorites from childhood. I’ve been binging for weeks now, much to my wife’s chagrin.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree with you about the TV app. Maneuvering with the remote has delays and skips; it's terrible.

But I do love some of the channels. The "Iron Chef" channel. All IFC comedy, all the time. Even Slow.TV, which is just a stationary camera on a train going through European countryside. Hypnotizing.

Those movie channels -- any time during the day, you go through their 20-or-so movie channels, and you're going to find a good one.

And finally, I'm still a slave to my channels. I like going through a channel lineup to see what's out there at the moment, as opposed to searching for particular shows on Crackle.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

There's something called Decades that appears in the 1200s on my Spectrum box that has a lot of the old sitcoms. I've been recording MTM, Dick Van Dyke and Get Smart.

Get Smart wouldn't pass today's standards with it's white actors playing Asians and Hispanic and some racial sterotype jokes, but it's still hilarious.

One reason the old sitcoms stand up so well is that they didn't try to be topical and they are not serialized, so it's easy to go in and out and not miss plot points.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
    OscarMadison and lakefront like this.
  7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

8. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Have you ever seen it? It takes a little time to get use to the era. Hang in there, it is worth it.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I’m old. I watched it when it first came out. But rewatching the first couple of shows, in hindsight, you want to put the casting director in the HOF. Just completely nailed it.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Created by Mel Brooks. Written by Buck Henry.

You’re right, they couldn’t make it today, and the world is worse off for that fact. Blazing Saddles couldn’t get made today. Even Robin Hood Men in Tights would not get made.
    They probably couldn’t make the Courtship of Eddies Father.

OscarMadison and Wenders like this.
  11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Disagree. Men in Tights probably could get made today with a few alterations. Achoo could still work and they probably would have a more inclusive cast to play off the cross dressing stuff. But that movie is way tamer than Blazing Saddles.

12. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Hulu has a great treasure trove of Classic TV. MTM, Taxi, I Love Lucy, MASH, Wonder Years...
    The Norman Lear shows are all over on Amazon.

Draft saved Draft deleted