1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I never watched his show, didn't find him funny, or care for Carpool Karaoke. Something about his attitude was off-putting.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I’m the same. I watched one of his shows and he interviewed both guests at the same time. Apparently he does that all the time but I found it odd.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It was entertaining. I watched the first week of shows and they crashed somebody's house near the studio and did the show from their, with the guests - (seem to remember Jeff Goldblum hitting on one of the residents). Thought it was nuts to do such a stunt in the first two weeks, but I think it also showed you never knew what to expect from night to night.
    Growing up though - late night gigs seemed to be like lifetime appointments. Probably a good move though - Corden can do other stuff, CBS can bring in a host in their 20s and 30s who want a late-night host more representative of them.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

If think that interview style was part of what got him the job. He proposed it when he was being interviewed for the job. Graham Norton does it. Corden always seemed to have his nose fully embedded in every celebrity's ass.

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Didn't think they needed another season of Tehran.

The first season was stellar enough to stand on its own.

We know Israel and Iran will be playing nuclear cat and mouse for the next thousand years.

But ... the chick who plays Shakira is really cute and brought great intensity to every scene she was in.

[​IMG]

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Is that her walking by?

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

No but she kind of looks like Beanie Goldstein.

8. DanOregon

Some of the best Carson moments when guests would interact with a subsequent guest.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Never watched his late night show, but I enjoyed his "Gavin and Stacey."

He had a sketch show with a guy from that show that had this hilarious sketch, where he plays Ricky Gervais in a Karate Kid reboot:

HC likes this.
  10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The all-timer for it:

It's hard to remember because it was a million years ago in late night years, but Jimmy Fallon was actually somewhat unique with his version of Late Night from 2009 to 2014. He would play stupid games and basically have pillow fights with guests. When Letterman retired, CBS had to pay $5 million or play Craig Ferguson - they chose to pay him, which led to a week of Craig humorously thanking Letterman and his agent in the monologue. But, he was gone within a year or two, and it's clear CBS / Colbert chose to copy the format of Fallon's show at 12:30 more than attempting to "zag" with a Tom Snyder or Bob Costas type. (Which, you know oddly, I think kind of works better after Colbert than Corden.)

re: Corden himself - he's allegedly a huge asshole. The few times I caught his show, I thought it was fine, but I was such a big mark for Ferguson that I probably couldn't evaluate it well. While most of his TV and movie work of the past 5 years has been campy shit, The Wrong Mans is excellent, along with the aforementioned Gavin & Stacey.

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Goodbye to a mildly entertaining show. Great performance by Malkovich.

12. DanOregon

Finished 1883. Originally thought of it as a lesser version of Lonesome Dove. By the end, I felt it made Lonesome Dove look like a romp. I'm exhausted. Wondering what the hell it was all for. And I MADE it to Oregon!!!! Honestly, I've watched every minute of anything Taylor Sheridan has had anything to do with, and will continue to do so. Glad I waited until it had completed its run before starting it. Why Tim McGraw didn't decide to become a movie star is beyond me. He's a better actor than a singer. Faith Hill too.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
    Wenders and Neutral Corner like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted