1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Any Letterkenny fans watch Shoresy yet?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It certainly wasn't memorable. I get that there was a message in it about appreciating the little moments, how those will be the things we treasure in the end. I'm not sure if I believe that, but that was a recurring theme.

I think part of the problem is how this final season was rushed. They new the end was coming, so they put the whole thing on fast forward. It made many of the moments feel as if they were not earned.

They did squeeze one last fakeout, though I must admit, I was a little distracted by the appearance of Dule Hill.

Last edited: May 28, 2022
  3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I figured I was just too distracted by Uvalde to really enjoy the finale but I guess it was episode itself that was the issue. I don’t know exactly what I was looking for but for a show known for its reveals, I was hoping for one more “oh wow”
    moment.

Wenders likes this.
  4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Agreed. I also saw a lot of criticism as well that there was too much focus on Randall in the final episode, and not enough on the journeys of Kate and Kevin.

I also didn't feel like there was enough of a real connection with Dule Hill's family to shoehorn them into the series finale. We revisited the Jack death scene to have a tenuous connection with Rebecca's fight with Alzheimer's. It just fell short for me.

Agreed. I just did not have much mental energy that evening. I was extremely emotionally wrung out and then the finale just didn't have a lot of oomph.

Here's a question for the board (even those who don't watch This is Us), what is your top series finales throughout the years?

Here was an absolutely beautiful moment from the Will & Grace finale, which I didn't super love as a whole, but I love where it went:

Dyno likes this.
  5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

“The Shield” and “Six Feet Under” are two of my favorite finales. “Mary Tyler Moore,” too.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Newhart is the gold standard for finales

HanSenSE, maumann and Wenders like this.
  7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'd never seen that before. I only saw a few episodes of the show, but that seems like a perfect moment for those two characters.

Being a dedicated West Wing fan, I have to include "Tomorrow" as one of my favorites.

It ends with such a quiet moment, but one that really captures Jed and Abby Bartlet very well.

HanSenSE and Wenders like this.
  8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

The best that come to my mind (although I've only heard, because I was not old enough for either of these in real time) were Newhart and MASH. (I grew up in a MASH household. My parents still watch all the MASH reruns they can find, because they still haven't figured out how to access my various streaming accounts.)

9. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I wrote a paper in college about the MASH finale for English comp as a freshman.

garrow likes this.
  10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Churning through the new Stranger Things episodes this weekend, and the really obvious thing to me is the four original young boys really are not good actors.

The Sink and Hawke actors are so damn good it makes the shortcomings of all the others stand out.

And Hawke is magnificent.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Did they drop the entire season?

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Finished The Flight Attendant and really liked it. Hell of an acting job by Kaley Cuoco. They wrapped up all of the storylines well.

Dyno likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted