1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Oof, disappointing to hear, but not surprising for a Netflix show.

My wife enjoys "Manifest," which I mostly take in as a hatewatch. The new season just dropped, and wow, the father of the Stone family might be the most unlikable character I've ever encountered on a show that isn't meant to be hated. It's kind of jarring, similar to like when a "pushed" WWE wrestler gets no response or booed by a crowd. Outside of him, the show is basically a weirdo, quasi-religious thing, featuring Magical Children With Powers, and people getting "callings," essentially visions of tasks they need to complete. It's like the creators watched "Lost," and decided that the thing people enjoyed was Ben and Locke's religious bullshit, instead of the mystery of time travel and Dharma.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Bad Sisters renewed for Season 2 — not sure where they can go from the plot of the first season, but looking forward to it.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I watched season 1 but sort of lost interest and then just quit watching. It's an interesting premise but as you said, they went down a rabbit hole and the thing got just too weird to follow.

4. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I’m rewatching Larry Sanders. Like most comedies, the first season is a little bit stop and go but by season 2 it’s just glorious.

Ove often thought that Sanders and Homicide are often overlooked when people talk about influential shows.

John and sgreenwell like this.
  5. sgreenwell

Homicide probably gets overlooked because The Wire feels like the version Simon and the writers actually wanted to make. That being said, Homicide is still great and downright shocking at times for a network show.

qtlaw, Webster and Tighthead like this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I can't say OZ was influential. But if you like Homicide, Law and Order, The Shield or The Wird and haven'seen it. You are in for a treat.

Tighthead likes this.
  7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

The Enola Holmes franchise on Netflix is really good.

OscarMadison and Wenders like this.
  8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I just discovered that there is going to be a new Night Court series, but instead of a reboot, it is a sequel of sorts with Harry Stone's daughter as the judge. Melissa Rauch will play the judge, but the only returning cast member is John Larroquette. The only other members of the main cast who are still alive are Richard Moll and Marsha Warfield.

They really can't leave anything alone, can they?

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Its just a way to get a new generation for the old episodes on Peacock. Thats what the reboots are all about.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I rather like Melissa Rauch, but yeah, I think I'll pass on that one.

11. sgreenwell

Side trivia - Harry Anderson's daughter, Eva, is now a producer and writer. She's been on some notable shows, like WeCrashed, Briarpatch and You're The Worst. She's also a frequent and funny podcast guest on Doughboys.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm curious to see her in a different role. I'll probably watch the first episode, then likely bail.

Draft saved Draft deleted