1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They dragged it out a little, but that final scene with the old crew was worth it. The nod to Data's attempt at a dirty limerick was fun, too.

JimmyHoward33 and Spartan Squad like this.
  2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Last season of Barry is off to a great start.

TigerVols likes this.
  3. Lt.Drebin

Lt.Drebin Active Member

I shall forever refer to lame eatertainment joints as “de Dave and de Buster’s”…

garrow likes this.
  4. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Hader does a podcast on the Ringer after each episode which I’ve been enjoying.

garrow likes this.
  5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Yes, we'll have some jalapeño poppers for the table.

Cosmo likes this.
  6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

A little late to the game, but I’m thoroughly enjoying Barry. In the middle of season two.

garrow likes this.
  7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Mrs. W hasn’t wanted to watch Barry yet. I think it’s a little too dark for her.

We have been watching Not Dead Yet with our 14 year old. Perfectly pleasant sitcom.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Barry was great for the first two seasons, and the premise is a good one.

But the direction has gotten way too cute and gimmicky, to the point that it’s not only annoying as shit, but it actively takes my interest away from the story.

It’s kind of like Euphoria, that way.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

We like Gina Rodriguez enough that she overcomes the campy story lines for us.

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"The Diplomat" on Netflix is pretty good. A longtime behind the scenes policy wonk type gets a promotion to Ambassador to England for reasons. It's well written and plotted overall - although the season ending cliffhanger, if it proves to be what it seems, takes it from fairly plausible with TV plotting into highly implausible bullshit TV plot if it holds when the next season starts.

Deborah Cahn is the showrunner - "West Wing", "Gray's Anatomy", "Homeland", "Fosse/Verdon". It has something of the feel of WW or Gray's - intelligent, motivated people trying very hard to do well at intense demanding jobs. I really liked the writing, my last sentence above notwithstanding. I can't explain without massive spoilers, so deal. Stars Keri Russell and Rufus Sewell. It's an eight show season so it does not require a huge investment.

garrow likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A lot of TV hosts have headed toward the exits in recent months, Trevor Noah, James Corden, Lemon, Tucker etc. TV viewership - day and date viewership - has fallen hard with streaming - you aren't just competing against everything else that is on for eyeballs, you are competing for everything that has ever been created in movies and TV for viewers - and then don't forget video games. Whether these exits are very messy or polite - I imagine these hosts would all still be in their chairs if viewership was higher. Tucker was "No. 1" but that no. 1 is with 3m viewers. That would put him in 70th place among broadcast primetime shows, and it isn't like his viewere were especially sought after by mainstream advertisers.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Damn powerful episode of "Law and Order" dealing with trans children and transformation tonight.

Draft saved Draft deleted