1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I understand, but the perfect ending would have been showing that not even the death of George’s fiancée (due to his cheapness) ultimately mattered to them. It showed their narcissism and criticized the audience for loving them far better than the actual finale, which was far too heavy handed.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I really have to stop getting into TV shows, at least until they officially end and then I can binge-stream the entire thing. Another show that I like gets cancelled.

On the bright side, the ending to the second season can serve as a pretty good close to the series.

JimmyHoward33 and sgreenwell like this.
  3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I gave up on this real early. It was too much about what into the missions than the missions themselves, which made the original good.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

It's a risk with just about any show these days -- any sign of struggle and it's over. My wife picks more of the stuff to watch than I did and she's been on a run of stuff that has gotten the ax over the last couple of years.

5. Baron Scicluna

Yeah, that was part of the storyline. They brought Project Quantum Leap back to see what went wrong the first time so they would be able to do better with the missions without the risk of the leaper being stuck back in time.

The middle episodes of each season would focus more on the mission than what was into the mission. For a few episodes, I thought they were being a little sloppy with Ben talking to Addison in public with people all around him and not wondering why he was talking to himself. They cleaned that part up later by having Ben make excuses for having to go someplace private.

I enjoyed the show, though. They started off with the nostalgia, but built up the new characters.

6. Baron Scicluna

Yeah, it’s just annoying. They want us to watch the shows. We watch them and enjoy them. And then they get taken away.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

And Dick Wolf could produce a show about a New York police unit dedicated to finding people shitting on public chess tables and it would run a decade on NBC.

sgreenwell, Tighthead and Batman like this.
  8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I think it was SNL who did it (I could be wrong because I can’t find it) but they did a Law and Order Parking Violations Unit (or something similar). It featured Adam Shiff imploring the DAs to cut a deal on a jaywalker.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I find Blue Bloods to be way worse, and it is in its 14th - and mercifully final - season. The Chicago-verse is pretty hot on its heels though, especially the PD version.

10. justgladtobehere

Thus proving none of my jokes is original.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  11. justgladtobehere

I don't watch the show, but from what I have seen, that might be the laziest group of writers.
    They just recycle through about 5 scenes. Family dinner with Dad giving wisdom, Donny being tough detective, conflicted former Tom Brady girlfriend who let one past the goalie, prodigal son being righteous, and some pandering plot point to distract from the fact the show is a bunch of Irish American stereotypes and a comical police show.

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The Chicago shows are the same. On Fire a firefighter with a troubled past transfers into the house and is either redeemed or crashes and burns, after a conflict with someone in the house, Each season a person new to upper management comes after the firehouse for the way it does things, and the house always prevails.
    On PD, don’t be a CI because you will end up dead and all of the cops had a tough upbringing and family life.
    Not to mention the number of coworkers who sleep with each other on both shows, often causing distress when one lover gets in danger during a call. I guess there are no fraternization rules in Chicago.

OscarMadison, sgreenwell and garrow like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted