1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We gave up after the second season. The writing was practically incoherent at times. Costner and Hauser are really good actors, but some of the rest of the cast are like members of the various Sopranos crews.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They told a story in which a marriage failed and the best thing they could do was let it go. That is a difficult, but honest topic. I agree that making her new guy an ass undermines that story.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I thought they were setting up a sequel series without him. I would give it a shot, but it could easily turn into First-and-10 with soccer balls.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Oh, I loved the Westies Crowd! Richard Kind is one of my favorite "that guy" actors. The stunt cameos haven't been too bad so far. I've enjoyed some of the drop-ins (Cara Delavigne, Matthew Broderick, etc.) I would love to see Fran Leibowitz show up as a perspective tenant. You know she and Bunny (RIP) would have either loved or hated each other.

One other thing: Thank you, writers, for giving Sazz both a really great friendship with Charles and evidence (albeit postmortem) of a sex drive.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2024
    Webster likes this.
  5. OscarMadison

Yeah, this. Bill Hader and Ricky Gervais have addressed the question of characters that talk to you for a while until they don't Yes, that sounds crazy. Sam Shepherd once wrote that playwriting was its own form of insanity. Could it be the process for creating characters for the screen is similar? Makes sense that it does.

On another topic, I am not trying to call anyone out or accuse them of posturing to be PC. It's just I've seen people walk away from good causes and good people because the performative nonsense gets so thick! Best example is the day a white East Nashville trust fund baby told me that Bryant Terry ("Whoever he is") couldn't POSSIBLY know more about whether Thug Kitchen was racist and she was "vurry, vurry senstive to racism" I knew it was time to seek ut other ways to try to make things better than the patchouli stink of performative ahctivissssssm. (Insert vocal fry.)

By the way. here is a picture of Bryant Terry, who couldn't "possibly have a clue about racissssssm." And now I'll drop this particular conversational bone. I think.)

bryant terry.jpg

Last edited: Sep 6, 2024
    Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. OscarMadison

Gah. I killed the thread. ::sigh::

Best episodes lists just don't seem to live up to expectations. Even the best sitcoms as series come with caveats. What about very, VERY flawed shows? The Dukes of Hazard is funny. (Shut up! I own a copy of Smoky and the Bandit.) Would it be in the hypothetical bunker library? Not sure.

=

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Freevee is so annoying. I can record anything to avoid commercials, I'm paying for Prime, and I have to sit through shitty commercials to watch that show?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/tonight-show-jimmy-fallon-four-nights-per-week-nbc-1236135343/

I was aware the late-night shows aren't what they once were - just didn't know things had become bad enough were you lop off 20 percent of your output. Those shows really aren't good in reruns. Hell, I remember when it was a big deal when Carson cut back to four shows and they had Leno do Mondays. And even then, they'd do guest hosts on the weeks Carson was on vacation. No reruns ever.

10. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Trailer for Landman, a Taylor Sheridan series based on the Texas Monthly podcast “Boomtown”. Billy Bob, Jon Hamm and Demi Moore in the cast.

garrow likes this.
  11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

How many shows is Sheridan doing?

Draft saved Draft deleted