1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire: A question and a comment.... No spoilers, I promise.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jason_whitlock, Oct 3, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Thanks. We didn't get that documentary up here because I would have been all over it if we had. Thanks for the heads-up on that book.

2. Hell half the time the episodes don't even show up on my On-Demand. Neither Episode 3 nor Ep 5 showed up until they actually aired on HBO.

Oh, well, not like I'm a big fan or anything... *points subtly to username*

Anyone else have that On Demand issue?

3. Stupid

Stupid Member

No, other than the fact that I demand the new episode on Sundays and they arent' added to On Demand until Mondays.

Does anyone know if Season 3 is on DVD yet? I know Season 2 is but it's not at my local Blockbuster. I need to get a refresher on 2 because I rarely watched it that season.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I did after Week 4. Then three episodes showed up at once, so I'm a week ahead again.

5. Stupid

Stupid Member

is The Wire connected to that HBO miniseries called The Corner? is that the book by Norton/Simon to which several have referred?

I'm thinking that it must be because it was set in Balto. as well. wasn't Khandi Alexander in that?

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The Corner was a documentary. The Wire is fiction based on (from what I gather) many of the real-life characters in the Corner--which I haven't seen yet.

7. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Season 3 is on dvd, I just bought it off Amazon.

8. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Simon and Ed Burns (a Wire writer) wrote the book.

I don't know about the book, but on HBO The Corner was a miniseries with actors. I assume The Corner is based on real people's stories but it wasn't a documentary, at least not in the traditional sense.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Not in celluloid.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sorry, I haven't seen the Corner. For some reason I thought it was a documentary.

11. Stupid

Stupid Member

I did the imdb on it and it's the Charles Dutton-hosted miniseries. the guy who plays Lester Freamon on The Wire played a street guy on The Corner. I thought I recognized him from that.

The Corner was pretty good, as I recall, but pretty depressing.

12. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Did you know that they were hiding messages in Omar's clothes? Pretty f'ing cool.

Draft saved Draft deleted