1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire, Season 5 -- Read Between the Lines

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Jan 16, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The Greek also had no redeeming qualities, though he had much less screen time.

2. I thought about him too. He's in the same boat as Marlo - a representation of the greed and temptation.

Who from the first season - I haven't seen it in years - Byrd?

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

One ep, they had Moltisanti with a handling a load on a team +10.

In the last minute of the game, said team is down 12.

It kicks a field goal to kill the Sopranos' guys' weekend.

No team, in the last minute of a game would go from 12 to 9.

An easy fix, that any of us could have inserted to make it authentic, would have been the game being an 11-point spread, with a field goal making it 8 with those dozens of seconds left. That would have been legit.

Instead, it was only foolish.

4. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Just finished Season 2, started Season 3 and will be picking up Season 4 in a week or two. I'm hoping to only DVR a few eps of Season 5 & be able to actually read all The Wire threads here.

5. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

The thing about Marlo, is that while his character has no redeeming qualities, he has a certain charisma -- just that cold, calculating way he goes about things. It doesn't make him endearing by any stretch, but I don't dislike him the way a lot of people seem to (not saying you do or don't). I think he's a good character.

6. I like the Marlo character. I agree he is charming. I was just talking about what he symbolizes. Evil can be very charming - alluring, even.

7. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply how you felt about him. I've heard a few people say they don't like him, which obviously is exactly how you're supposed to feel about him.

I didn't see that special about the media this season, but I'd hope none of the editors/reporters are some cliche, but as DD said I don't really worry much about it considering Simon never goes that route.

8. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Just got HBO for the first time ever, so as to watch this season. And I watched the half-hour pre-season special.
    Looks pretty awesome and, from the looks of things, hits the frustration, depression and eternal hope of this business squarely on the head (though I, too, am a bit concerned they'll overplay a reporter-who-makes-it-up story angle. (Don't know about y'all, but I've never really met one of those.)
    Clark Johnson (Meldrick, for fans of Homicide) looks to be great as a city editor fighting the good fight.

9. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I am pumped for Meldrick! Hopefully he'll meet with Luther Mahoney, M.E.

10. beachst1

beachst1 New Member

Just in case a few of you have yet to see the HBO Chronicles Series, here's the link.

http://www.hbo.com/thewire/chronicles/

Absolute can't miss.

11. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

great season 5 promo with drunk mcnulty.

12. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted