1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire, Season 5 -- Read Between the Lines

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Jan 16, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I think we're pretty much in a agreement -- though I didn't dislike Ziggy as much as you did -- I just wanted to make sure that the case was made for season two. Because even if it might have been less "enjoyable" to some, I truly think that it's the linchpin to the show's "importance," if you'll forgive the pedantic phrase.

2. I think Season 2 is every bit as good as the others. I just didn't LIKE it as much. It dragged down too much at times. Though I think the kid that played Nicky Sobotka was outstanding.

I think for sheer mean streets stuff, Season 3 was best. But as far as developing characters and just gut wrenching but can't miss television, I think it's season 4.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Cops aren't in it as much, and I think that, splitting hairs, that hurts it, too.

4. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

The cops were in it as much as they were in Season 4. More probably. A lot of good cops stuff in Season Two (including McNulty's finest hour: the drunk driving/diner/bloody hand sex with the waitress scene)
    For my money: 3 and 4, then 1 and 2. But that is splitting hairs. They all rank among the best seasons of television, ever. And taken together, sheee-it.

PS: Lest I forget, Season 2 also had the Omar in court scene. Maybe the best scene in the history of the show. Like others have said, it really laid the philosophical groundwork for the rest of the series. Moreso than Season 1.

5. Jemele Hill

Jemele Hill Member

I was fortunate enough to get my hands on the first seven episodes of the new season of The Wire. I promise not to give a thing away, but I feel as if my view of it is somewhat skewed because I haven't finished season 4 yet. I'm not sure how to fit it into the general landscape because I haven't finished what's supposed to be the best season. By the way, season 3 was my favorite.

I'll say this about the depiction of the media thus far. Don't know if you all saw the Baltimore Sun's review, but there was some legitimacy to what the reviewer said. The beauty of The Wire is it makes you feel compassion and symmetry with people you aren't supposed to feel that way about. Marlo's a dick, but he's a charismatic dick. McNulty is a fuck-up, but he's a likable fuck-up.

The newspaper characters are too either-or, for me. Either you hate them or love them. There is no middle ground, and I think that's a failing.

6. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

If true, that would be a real shame.

7. Season 2 - the fact that they were able to take the show off the street and to the docks - was when I realized how great the show was. I mean, I liked the first season, but 2 is what cemented it as the best show ever. 3 and 4 built took it from there. That's how far ahead this show is from anything else.

8. Season 2 - the fact that they were able to take the show off the street and to the docks - was when I realized how great the show was. I mean, I liked the first season, but 2 is what cemented it as the best show ever. 3 and 4 built took it from there. That's how far ahead this show is from anything else.
    [/quote]

There's no doubt that season 2 was outstanding. I want to be clear in that I think it was terrific and still good, I just simply didn't enjoy it as much as the others.

What you said is right on. I couldn't have done it any better. I just hope season 5 takes us home the way we want because if it does, I think it's the best and most important television show in history.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I just added HBO for $13 a month just for this show. I could not stand waiting for the DVD set.

My wife does home visits for a form of health care. She goes into some bad homes. I'm making her watch it with me. She has never watched The Wire before.

10. There's no doubt that season 2 was outstanding. I want to be clear in that I think it was terrific and still good, I just simply didn't enjoy it as much as the others.

What you said is right on. I couldn't have done it any better. I just hope season 5 takes us home the way we want because if it does, I think it's the best and most important television show in history.
    [/quote]

I'm keeping my expectations low based on everything I've seen and heard about Season 5. I'm worried Simon was and is too close to, and bitter about the newspaper situation to give us the same subtle and balanced look through the microscope that he did in the first four seasons.

If this season is a total dud, it could make some critics unload about the credibility of the other seasons. I just think he's too bitter still.

11. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

I second that emotion. Season 2 was amazing to me because it showed that This would not be another 'cop show'...It's when we all realized that Simon and Burns were building a much bigger world...

And as much love as I have for Season 3, Season 4 was without doubt the finest of the series to me. I don't know that I can realistically expect better storytelling, character development, or plot twists. In alot of ways, I just want to see Season 5 because I work in this industry and see the problems we all see.
    Question is, what did and didn't Simon put on 'Front Street?'

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I've seen the first episode of Season Five and it's right up there with the opening episodes of the other four.

John Doyle, the TV critic for the Globe & Mail, disagreed with the Baltimore Sun on the authenticity of the newsroom depicted on the show. He said it was essentially bang-on.

And for what it's worth, Season four was brilliant but my favourte is still Season Two.

Draft saved Draft deleted