1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire, Season 5 -- Read Between the Lines

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Harry Lime

Harry Lime New Member

The previews for the upcoming episodes kook great, too.
    Especially when Marlow goes to prison to visit somebody.

2. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that scene was in Homicide, too. Think it was Bolander and Munch. This is pissing me off about Ep 52. I have OnDemand and from what I've read, Scumcast airs the coming week's episode on Monday. Well, it's damn near Tuesday and still nothing. Anyone else encounter this?

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I have Time Warner, and it went on at exactly midnight last night.

4. Charter's came up Sunday afternoon.

5. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Munch & Bolander work their magic:

6. Abe Froman

Abe Froman Member

What Do Real Thugs Think of The Wire

http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/09/what-do-real-thugs-think-of-the-wire/

7. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I finally finished Season 4 last night & will catch 51 tonight.

Episode 49? Holy freaking shit that was amazing. The show had the bar raised pretty high for me, then I watched that and it went higher. That was an unreal 60 minutes of TV. Wow.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Anyone else catch the brand name of the shit being sold on the street?

Get your Greenhouse Gas, it's hot.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

CJR has a lengthy article about the relationship between Simon and the editors.

http://www.cjr.org/cover_story/secrets_of_the_city.php?page=all

More or less with the take that all three are right and wrong and the degree of one or the other depends on your perspective.
    Simon basically abandoned the traditional newspaper approach and looked at it like a novelist and the editors sticking with the traditional newspaper approach.
    Or more simply Simon thought that big complex problems couldn't be solved by a simplistic approach.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Why would they redo that old gag from Homicide, then? Especially as the first scene, since the series now has a reputation for great opening scenes? Big disappointment.

11. part-timer

part-timer Active Member

I think the main reason why they did that was to set up Bunk's line about "the bigger the lie, the more they'll believe it" and that being the mantra for the entire season (as starting to show in 52).

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

About halfway through the DVDs, and while I enjoy the newsroom bits (first initial dbags and suspender wearing editors) I'm still surprised how slow the cops are in picking up on Prop Joe's murder. (Not a surprise that his death went unnoticed by the newsroom sans it's recently discharged cop reporter) It's not a great season, but Simon did a good job of wrapping up a number of threads. And still no clue why McNulty returned to his drinkin' and whorin'.

Draft saved Draft deleted