1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire, Season 5 -- Read Between the Lines

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Re: All-purpose, never-ending "Wire" thread

Plenty of reasons to get HBO THIS month....

Costas' year in sports.... Extras Christmas series finale.... Rickles retrospective....

2. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

January 6th, to be exact. This season might break the highest body count for a TV show, outside of Law & Order.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I am counting the days.

I'm a huge fan of both The Wire and The Sopranos but the OVERALL quality of the latter doesn't come close to The Wire. Not even close. Very uneven scripts and ridiculous plot meanderings.

However, the end of the last episode may have been one of the greatest in TV history.

4. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

For all you Wire-Watchers in the Northeast, anyone want to possibly get together and watch the season premiere on Jan. 6? I live in North Jersey, but hopefully by then, I'll be closer to Philly. I'm open to all possibilities... as long as they're low-cost.

And if I have my own place by then, I'm getting Comcast OnDemand to go with my 40+" LCD. ;D

5. HBO On Demand is airing Season 3 through Sunday and Season 4 for a month.

6. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

I posted this on another thread that quickly died out, but plotlines for the first couple of episodes are here http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34986

And if you've got HBO OnDemand, you can watch the first episode on New Year's Eve instead of waiting until Jan. 6.

7. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Little taste of Prop Joe, circa 1962...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i35ab2fc2fb51e6e2eff4f5d6d94e9bb1

8. RedDragon

RedDragon New Member

here are the rest of those vignettes from youtube...

bunk/mcnulty meeting

omar circa 1985

9. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Zeke....I think the bigger reason The Wire never got the acclaim it deserved is because HBO made no effort to market the show....not even on their own network! I had friends who were Sopranos whores....and never even heard of the Wire. HBO hitched their wagons to The Soprano's and Six Feet Under....and showed no love to the best program they had. It's a shame really....I caught the first episode and was hooked/amazed from there...

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That shouldn't affect Emmy voters who, presumably, watch television for a living.

11. Are those flashbacks from the coming season? Or just little tidbits to whet our appetites?

As much as I liked seeing Little Omar -- and his brother No Heart Anthony -- the McNulty/Bunk meeting was classic. I'm a sucker for their drunken antics.

12. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

Draft saved Draft deleted