1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

They watch.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Jul 29, 2023.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

If I search New Balance shoes, and New Balance ads pop up, that's understandable.
    If I talk about Doritos, and an ad for Doritos pops up, that's understandable because they are listening.
    If I silently wonder to myself "What's the capital of Kyrgyzstan?" and I start typing "what is the ca..." and Google fills in the rest, that's what freaks me out.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I texted a bunch of listings for lake houses to my wife in the last few weeks. Then, we put in an offer on one that was big enough to be our primary residence (we didn’t get it).

A few days later, and ever since, I’ve been bombarded with junk mail from developers asking to buy my current house, and from developers looking to unload lakefront plots at a “discounted” rate.

maumann and Driftwood like this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is an '02 Mazda/Ford Ranger. I got it dirt cheap with 75k when my Brother in Law died. This fix in particular just kills the problem as the cable end pieces were made of a rubber that gets brittle after 15 or 20 years. It's worth my time and a twelve buck part.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I suspect there are all sorts of things hidden in software and cookie permissions we'd object to if we read or understood them.

Fdufta and OscarMadison like this.
  5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Same, but with "Lusty milfs in my area"

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Don't need no Google for that... I am Google.

(Not really. I'm a happily married goober, but it's nice dream. Don't matter where you get your appetite as long as you eat a home.)

SFIND likes this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If the tailgate cables are the ones from the factory, probably worth it to install a fresh pair while you are at it.

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Often if my wife has to use my phone browser and sees ads, she looks at me and says, “Forgot to use private mode?”

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

someone’s always watching and listening

walk down a city street or in a neighborhood, you’re on multiple cameras

drive somewhere, you’re on multiple cameras

type “sailboat panties for grandma” and you’ll get hit with ads for Playtex

type or speak a few key words and you’ll raise some eyebrows with alphabet agencies somewhere

my preferences are nacho cheese Doritos and sheer lingerie. bring on the ads!

OscarMadison, maumann and SFIND like this.
  11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I typed in "fringe pyramid theories" and now I have been signed to create a 10-part Netflix docuseries.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I really want to know what sailboat panties are, but I ain't googling that.

maumann, Neutral Corner and SFIND like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted