1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

THIS IS CNN: Don Lemon goes berserker on Kaitlan Collins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Feb 5, 2023.

1. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

I feel somewhat vindicated that my nearly lifelong stereotypical image of on-camera local TV people has some truth to it.

Liut likes this.
  2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

ExHack: The finale. CC5C983E-ADF4-45AD-92EC-BD6A7D8A9C19.jpeg

Liut and exmediahack like this.
  3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

More than some.

Liut likes this.
  4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

We really back to doing this shit, huh?

Azrael and TigerVols like this.
  5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

CNN putting Kaitlan Collins on at 9 p.m. for a tryout seems more like they're just trying to irritate the hell out of Lemon than anything else. Making him announce each day that Kaitlan is off today doing ...a primetime show. I find most of the cable news hours indistinguishable and the hosts add or detract little from the content.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Collins isn't ready. Saw her the other night. Limp.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

To be fair, that began long ago, and it started with men.

The purpose-built bright-eyed square-jawed baritone idiot was coming online just as I was starting in the mid-70s.* Part of the first wave of Action News/Eyewitness News makeovers from Magid.

I worked with what turned out to be the last generation of 1940s/1950s radio journalists who'd been moved to television. Many of them had begun in newspapers. and were still reporters in the truest sense. But they were not stylish and they were not physically attractive. They were balding overweight men in their 50s who wore harvest gold short-sleeve dress shirts and loud neckties and read from their notebooks on-camera without looking up.

As they aged out they were replaced by the first generation of great looking, well-tailored broadcast knuckleheads.

(*It was enough of a trope/cliche by 1987 that we get the movie 'Broadcast News.')

(Additional historical aside: in the 1940s and 1950s the earliest television news anchors were often local actors or radio performers with no news experience at all. eg, Ted Baxter)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
    maumann, exmediahack and poindexter like this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Liut likes this.
  11. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

dixiehack, HanSenSE and poindexter like this.
  12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I don’t have an opinion about Gayle’s journalism, but she might break me in a three-day weekend.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted