1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

THIS IS CNN: Don Lemon goes berserker on Kaitlan Collins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Feb 5, 2023.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I watch almost every night during a window between 5 and 8.

There needs to be changes in that window.

Erin Burnett is showing herself to be a Trumper and needs to go. She speed talks worse than John King and as spitty as Manu Raju.

I'd like to see Tapper at 5 followed by 2 hours of Acosta. After that I'm asleep.

And Chalian with his dicksnorting polls needs to be fucking gone.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I don't mean to troll, but if I spent that much time on any news channel, they would have to haul me away in a wheelbarrow very quickly.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's background noise mostly. And sometimes I'll watch a sports game. TV doesn't do much for me these days.

TV that I do like I watch on AppleTV or other laptop streamables.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He's the guy who looks like a Simpsons character. I love him, but I am usually picturing him getting all excited by how Mayor Quimby is polling.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sure - but people are getting up, getting out every 45 minutes or so. Of course - one of the real problems with Network morning shows is they are geared to the East Coast (only live there) by the time the rest of the country is getting up you either aren't watching "the morning show" on Fox on CNN or you are watching something taped three hours earlier.
    Do "the wheel" from 6 a.m. to noon ET - constantly updating what is going on, air interviews (live or taped), reports, features etc.
    Though I do know more people - far more people watch their local morning shows - than anything on cable or broadcast, simply because they have local traffic, weather and school closures.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Probably not doing enough opinion. That's what gets ratings.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not for CNN. Nothing seems to get them ratings. The whole reason for Chris Licht in the first place, and his attempt with that morning show with Don Lemon and Poppy Harlow and Kaitlan Collins, was that CNN had rapidly gone from a cash cow to being like ratings poison, and they were desperately trying new things. I don't think it is as easy as just emulating Fox News or MSNBC, which have way more morning viewers. You can argue that Fox and MSNBC do opinion, so that is what you need to do. ... but Fox and MSNBC have staked out the viewers in each of their categories that tune in automatically for validation / what they want to hear. CNN has kind of turned into a bad diner -- it has a menu, the food isn't horrible, but the area has established restaurants that really don't have to worry about losing their customers to it.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I will take your word for all this. Apparently, you watch ... I don't.

9. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Poppy Harlow is an all-time great in the pantheon of “prep school graduate trying to seem relatable to commoners” names.

Draft saved Draft deleted