1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This week in ill-advised new fast food items

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Jun 8, 2018.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It has been 30 years and counting since my last Long John Silvers meal. It was the last thing I ate before I realized I had the flu that would keep me in bed for spring break my senior year of high school. Projectile vomiting fried fish is a horrible memory that never fades. Even the smell of LJS makes me gag now.

tea and ease likes this.
  2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Growing up as a wee lad, when my grandparents from up north would come visit, LJS was a must visit in their list. And my grandmother would take home a bottle. Not a couple packets, but a BOTTLE of the malt vinegar.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

McDonald's has a new menu item: The Cheesy Jalapeño Bacon Quarter Pounder. I tried a double today and damn, it was pretty good.

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I used to get the LJS craving every couple of years, then would indulge it and spend a night in agony, clutching the sides of the toilet bowl while praying for the sweet release of death. The only way I could tell the difference between their fish and chicken was the texture, it all tasted the same.

Had the same type of self-loathing relationship with White Castle in later years. Haven't craved either in a long time now.

If I'm going fast-food fish, I can tolerate a McDonald's fish sandwich, mainly because of the steamed bun and tartar sauce, but would much prefer some cod from Culver's or a Captain D's run.

North Atlantic Cod Dinner | Our Menu | Culver’s

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Well stated.
    Tempted to c/p your post to my area's regional vp. Not that it would make any difference, unfortunately.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Corporate *has* to know it. If they attempt to change that culture it never shows. Not that I'd know it, because I never eat there as a direct result. I hear the same complaint repeatedly from people in different areas of the country. Similarly, Chick Fil A employees will be polite and helpful to such an extreme degree that it also has to be a deliberate corporate policy.

Perhaps it's a "Southern manners" thing, but even when the politeness is obviously happening as a deliberate corporate policy in places like Chick Fil A and Publix, I still respond to it.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Definitely a policy at In-N-Out. Always friendly. Always see employees going around and cleaning stuff up, whether it's sweeping or wiping down countertops. Been like that for decades.

Neutral Corner and Roscablo like this.
  8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Burger King might have a sewer rat that tastes like pumpkin pie, but I’d never know because I wouldn’t eat at the nasty motherfucker, Vincent.

Batman and spikechiquet like this.
  9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Seems like word has passed among stoners and drunkards nationally they may obtain work at BK. Take a Hit. You Rule.

BartonK likes this.
  10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

That would be the Polynesian sauce at CFA; the main sauce is a mayo-ish honey bbq of sorts.

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I always thought that Arby's sauce was very Catalina-ish.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are GIFs to illustrate that, but I'm certainly not going to post any.

Draft saved Draft deleted