1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This week's bizarre high school football score

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

A couple weeks ago, one of the teams I used to cover won 14-7 … in overtime

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Next up, in all sports: jersey numbers with insufficient color contrast to be seen from the stands or especially on video. See especially gold numbers on white jerseys, etc etc, as well as the ubiquitous camo uniforms.

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The first high school I attended had football uniforms that looked exactly like UCLA, right down to the gold helmets and shoulder stripes. The second was crimson and gold, with white accents.

When I saw photos of their game last year, the light blue and gold school was wearing pink, dark blue and black, and the crimson and gold school had somehow decided on dark gray uniforms and helmets with red numbers, which are impossible to see from the stands with typical high school field lighting. But I guess it's "popular," because the total number of varsity players combined couldn't have totaled 50.

But then again, nickels had pictures of Roman emperors on them when I went to high school.

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

More than once I dealt with a football game with the visiting team wearing yellow numbers on white. Had a juco game where the visitor wore yellow on white and the numbers didn't even have any trim. And I was told their home uniforms had white numbers on gold with no trim.

One time, a visiting team came in with white-on-white with purple trim. We asked an assistant coach how hard it was to tell the players apart on film. "Impossible," he said. "We didn't order the uniforms. The last coach did and we're stuck with them until we can afford new ones." He said the home uniforms were purple on purple and were even worse to see on film.

maumann likes this.
  5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Where is that flipping 5-4?

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And this is unusual, because?

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Fine party pooper.

In my experience, I very rarely get games where the scoring is this low especially ones that go to OT. I didn't cover many overtime games, but all of them were higher scoring affairs. I can think of only one other game that ended regulation with a score that low and it was a rivalry game that ended 6-0.

8. Brian J Walter

Brian J Walter Well-Known Member

I knew what you meant. With HS offenses going to the spread, 48-47 games are more common than 10-7 games. Nobody has figured out how to defend the spread yet, partly because weaker guys have to play defense rather than going both ways because they're exhausted from running 30 yards on every offensive play. Gets more kids on the field but nobody can stop anybody.

9. NNDman

NNDman Active Member

Years and years ago I was the victim of covering a game in which the visiting team had white jerseys with yellow numbers that had no piping. And I'm talking light yellow! I was in the press box and fortunately these were the days when running the football was the norm. So, with a little help I was simply able to determine who was rushing the ball by their body type!

10. NNDman

NNDman Active Member

And in another episode from my way back when years before home teams were required to wear white at home in basketball, I covered a game in which both teams were in yellow/gold uniforms. Ironically one of the teams represented the same school that had the yellow numbers on white jerseys in football!!!

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Hi jinx by ref.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Goodness gracious. I'm covering a game remotely tonight, listening on the radio and taking notes. Kickoff was at 7 p.m. and it just went final at 8:40.
    God bless whoever came up with the running clock.

EDIT TO ADD: I called the coach about 9 p.m. for some stats and quotes and left a message. Called him again about 20 minutes later and his wife answered. The team's bus has a flat tire and the coach is dealing with that at the moment. So I guess it's a good thing the game ended early and I have some extra time to work with.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
    I Should Coco, HanSenSE and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted