1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This week's bizarre high school football score

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Marion Local is one of those schools so good at football that I often forget they play other sports. They’ve won 13 football state titles.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I mean the catcher helped by almost interfering with the runner at third...!

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

T-ball teams play better defense. That hurt to watch.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The center fielder turned into the damn T-1000 running that guy down. Sheesh.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Isn't it the catcher's job to back up third in that situation? But no one covered home?

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

When you think you've seen everything, you see something you've never seen before -- two times in the last day. The game-ending obstruction call in the O's-WSox game and this one. An 8U at home, wouldn't have believed it without the video. It's like the catch third baseman Manny Machado made in the right field corner.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The pitcher should be backing up. Kind of hard to get a sense of, but the pitcher should be between 3rd and home.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I replayed it a few times to determine where everybody was. I couldn't figure out what the first baseman was doing. I think he probably had a good view of what was going on but did nothing.

10. Twirling Time

Maybe that was the problem. All 9 players flying to the baseball with nobody covering any bases.

Hermes likes this.
  11. Twirling Time

I've Zaprudered this bad boy. The shortstop was there to cover second and the third baseman was there to cover third but both were late to cover. The catcher covered third because the pitcher should've covered the plate. I've seen some bad 1A ball but holy hell.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Tonight marks the latest edition of the Big 33 Football Classic -- Pennsylvania vs. Maryland.

It's a shadow of what it once was, when 20,000 would pack into Hersheypark Stadium. It's now at Cumberland Valley HS, across the river from Harrisburg, and the stands are about half-full.

The game has taken a hit in recent years with a dwindling player pool. That's partly because some kids enroll early in college to go through spring practice. And it's partly because certain college coaches are telling their recruits they don't want them risking injury before they getonc ampus.

But no Super Bowl has yet been played without a Big 33 alumnus.

Draft saved Draft deleted