1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This week's bizarre high school football score

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Not football, but I found this bizarre girls basketball score:

No. 17 Dodd City Lady Hornets 71, Fruitvale 0

A full shutout should be bigger news, but news travels slow in that part of Texas.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Betcha a quarter the coach told his team to try and score 100. That's what happened in the 105-18 game I covered years ago. They pressed all game with their starters against a winless conference opponent who could barely dribble the ball, let alone shoot. The winning coach has gone on to win over 800 games in her career, but she lost any respect from me that night.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Unless they're in the same conference, why was such a mismatch scheduled? And no mercy rule?

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

There's a MN hoops game going on right now. Boys. Minneapolis North 98. Ubah Medical Academy 2.

It's halftime.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

No need to donate a cadaver.

sgreenwell, Batman and I Should Coco like this.
  7. Small Town Guy

143-4 final.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And it wasn't that close.

9. Small Town Guy

I saw the assistant coach on Twitter say starters only played 10 minutes, it was running time in 2nd half and the refs were begging the losing team to call off the game but they didn't want to. Wanted time to run some of those offensive sets before offseason, I suppose.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Always time to run that 95-point play to catch up.

This game should have been called at halftime.

Or walk off the court like South Torrance in like 1990 when Lisa Leslie scored 101 points in the first half and South Torrance refused to come back on the court. Lisa got to shoot four free throws after South Torrance refused to come back out and Lisa was "kind of heartbroken that I didn’t break the record," after the CIF didn't recognize her "record" of tying Cheryl Miller's record she set against Norte Vista in 1982.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Nice to see the winning team let up in the second half. I guess it's mostly threes but how do you score 45 points in what I assume is 16 mins (8-min quarters) with a running clock and I assume a team not pressing?

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'm just waiting for a story from one of these games in which the Big Bads roll out to a 54-2 lead at halftime, so then in the second half, every other possession, they throw the ball straight to the Pathetic Puppies, stand aside, and let 'em shoot, and then after the Pathetic Pups miss five or six shots in a row, as such teams are prone to do, the Big Bads grab the rebound themselves and put it back in -- in the wrong basket.

So let's figure the Big Bads score 40 points anyway in the second half, and allow the Pathetic Pups to score 36 points (in fact the Pups score 16 of their own; 20 points are scored by the Big Bads into the wrong bucket). So the final score is 94-38. But suddenly somebody starts screaming the Big Bads have "made a mockery of the game" and "treated their opponents with disrespect."

Or better yet, at one point the Big Bads get really hot shooting at the wrong basket, and the Pathetic Pups close the margin to 13 at the end of three. Or let's say 7 with 2:00 left.

So the Big Bad coach says, "ok, that's it, fun time is over." And here come the screams, "no fair, you cant start trying again!!"

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
    HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted