1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't lament them. I'd like to see universal health care, for example.

I'm highly skeptical of using four nations whose population roughly equals that of Texas as a template of happiness and purpose just because they have some good social programs, and then somehow saying those nations have ameliorated want in a way that makes churches irrelevant.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

1) Thou shalt not covet.

2) For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

3) The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed -- for lack of a better word -- is good.

Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

Greed, in all of its forms -- greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge -- has marked the upward surge of mankind.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Or maybe people are more broadly aware of awfulness thanks to social media.

Also not sure how any of this activism differs in any way from the Clean Air / Clean Water protests of the late 1960s and early 70s.

The result of which was . . . cleaner air and cleaner water.

SFIND likes this.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Few things are stranger than me than people who have stumbled onto a variant of Christianity that largely serves to validate the life choices of the believer and the people most like them.

tea and ease and SFIND like this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

see also desire creates suffering

SFIND likes this.
  6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Thanks to that goddamned hippie Nixon.

SFIND likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think I laid out how I think it differs. I could be wrong tho

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

“Variant Christianity” has been an issue since the beginning.

Prosperity gospel is nonsense. Total nonsense. But I know why it exists. Hard to sell people on “suffering with integrity” when that doesn’t come with community.

If there’s something insidious about capitalism/western individualism it’s that poverty can often equal loneliness. And that often doesn’t change when you take the poor person and put them in wealthy places like universities.

SFIND likes this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Raises an interesting question, especially in light of your reference to Acts 2 churches upthread:

Assuming community - even a small one, like, say, a dozen dudes - is Christianity in its original and most essential form a vow of poverty?

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

After passing laws that the Supremes are busy undermining. Sigh.

Draft saved Draft deleted