1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Right; not a thing for some of us.

Azrael likes this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Absolutely true.

But the foundational premise - that the surahs were the unaltered and direct words of God, dictated verbatim to Muhammad - still obtains.

The differences in how humanity chooses to act on or ritualize those words is the distinction, I guess.

Mr._Graybeard likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Also: American beer, American trucks and American Jesus at the Super Bowl.

Thoughts?

Does the King of Kings really need the ad buy?

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I’ve seen this pop up a few different places today. It feels like the critics are making the same mistaken assumption conservatives make about the BLM movement - that it is all one giant, organized conglomerate doing business as Jesus Inc. There are probably thousands of organizations spending money in Jesus’ name in in hundreds (if not thousands) of different directions.

Azrael likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

For an outsider like me, that's the beauty of Torah and Talmud and the absolute beauty of Judaism - the articulation and poetry and passion of doubt, of arguing directly with G*d.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That's why I'm curious about this specific instance. It wasn't a generic pump-up-the-attendance "message from your local churches."

It's Hobby Lobby and a couple others rebranding the Son of God.

'He Gets Us': A Kansas campaign spent $20 million on Super Bowl ads to rebrand Jesus Christ

tea and ease and maumann like this.
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Weren't they the quitters?

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Those ads have been airing around here for months. I figured it was the Mormons.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

“The money for X could have gone to Y” dates back to at least Matthew 26:8-9.

This is one of the hard things about the religion I’ve chosen to follow. I’m expected to at least metaphorically join hands with those I don’t necessarily like very much.

maumann and OscarMadison like this.
  10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

A small piece, but yes.

Azrael likes this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Sure, but when one of them pays for multiple Superbowl ad buys, people will be curious about the money

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The ads ain't for Jesus.

Azrael likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted