1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Gee, that's a surprise.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Why Students in Kentucky Have Been Praying for 250 Hours

When she got to Asbury University in Wilmore, Kentucky, she was required to go to chapel three times a week for college credit. But she never believed God would fix anything, since life only seemed to be getting harder between the anxiety, depression, and recent back injury that brought her to a “breaking point.”

Suddenly, Gracie Turner no longer felt any pain. ​

For the past two weeks, tens of thousands of visitors have poured into that Kentucky chapel to experience what Turner felt that day. (On Saturday alone, according to a university spokesperson, the crowd numbered between 15,000 and 20,000.) Some are driving overnight from states like South Carolina and Oklahoma. Others are flying in from Canada and Singapore to wait in line for hours—sometimes in the rain or snow—just to stand next to people they share nothing in common with except for a single conviction: God is visiting a two-stoplight town in Kentucky.

[​IMG]

dixiehack and Inky_Wretch like this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

It seems to me when you are hemorrhaging membership, you wouldn't vote to cast aside 23,000 members.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-saddleback-church-women-pastors/11316198002/

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Southern Baptist Convention leadership disfellowshipped Saddleback Church from the convention on Tuesday, concluding a long-running debate about one of the largest and most well-known churches in the denomination.
    The California megachurch’s stance on a woman serving as head co-pastor led the convention's Executive Committee to consider a recommendation for the SBC to break with Saddleback.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

'disfellowshipped'

oof

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I couldn't care less about either side in this raging war of hypocrites, but damn it I have to say "stinks in the nostrils of God" would make for a great punk album title.

'A very dangerous course': What Saddleback Church ouster means for Southern Baptists

Hermes, 2muchcoffeeman and Driftwood like this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

benzo-junkie meatnik trying to mint some of that sweet sweet Hitchens/Harris/Dawkins coin

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Very polite.

I Should Coco and garrow like this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Jordan Peterson is an idiot, but that’s an odd tweet from the Pope that I’m guessing he didn’t write.

I don’t happen to be a Catholic, so I do not believe Francis (or any other Pope) has any “holy see” powers, but if Jesus’ teachings uphold the tenets contained within the tweet, just attribute them to Jesus.

Azrael likes this.
  11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Jesus quit Twitter when Musk bought it.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Francis has certainly used the phrase 'social justice' many times.

And the philosophical notion of social justice has a history in Catholicism going back to Aquinas.

What Is Social Justice?

What is Social Justice? (Part Two)

Defining Social Justice | Commonweal Magazine

https://aquinasonline.com/justice/

In Peterson v Pope, my money's on Il Papa.

Draft saved Draft deleted